Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
I agree, you should find a good local mom & pop LFS for stock. I buy supplies and equipment from Petco/Petsmart/Walmart, but never any fish stock. I'd suggest taking them back and let the tank cycle with heat and salt while you find a LFS. My 2 best LFS are 20/30 miles away (Petco <1 mile) and they QT all new stock for 10 days minimum. I trust them enough that I'll acclimate and put new fish in without any QT (it's been done ). Never had a single issue to date.

Yeah I'm going to take the back... Any advice as to what to treat the pleco with ??

Old 05-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie View Post
My neons died whenever I raised the temp to 86
That's why I like using Quick Cure, no need to cook the fish at 86+ degrees. As for the pleco, if it's got ick too then just keep the salt/heat going until it's better and by that time, you'll find a good LFS that will sell you good stock and help you with fish keeping, rather than how much they can make off you.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #33
come get me tang police!

The fish don't cook at 86. There's plenty of 86 degree discus tanks with neons in them.

One of the active ingredients in most ich medications is formalin aka formaldehyde. Malachite green is another questionable chemical as well, it's been linked to cancer, but how much of a potential threat it is, I have no idea.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
The fish don't cook at 86. There's plenty of 86 degree discus tanks with neons in them.

One of the active ingredients in most ich medications is formalin aka formaldehyde. Malachite green is another questionable chemical as well, it's been linked to cancer, but how much of a potential threat it is, I have no idea.
The way I look at is, I wouldn't leave my dog in my house during the summer in high temps, why would I subject my fish to it.

As for many things used in fish keeping, the API tests have warnings more severe than Qiuck Cure. Does that mean you're gonna stop doing tests with it? Probably not is my guess.

I'll agree 100% with your final statement, whole heartedly .
Old 05-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #35
come get me tang police!

Where you choose to leave your dog is not a valid comparison.

We aren't randomly heating up fish just to do it, its a proven safe and effective method of treating them for a parasite. Uncomfortable for them? Maybe for some, but its better than having ICH.

As far as comparing the API test chems to the Quick cure chems, another non comparison. First off, you don't expose your fish to the API test chems.

Second, malachite green has a pretty serious track record. A little google can do good
New safety alert as cancer dye is found in salmon - Times Online

There's a reason why they don't allow it into food fish. Granted, we aren't eating our aquarium fish, but we do stick our hands in their tanks an awful lot don't we?

I could spend more time proving that salt/heat is a way more safe and effective treatment than formalin/malachite green, but I really don't want to waste my time regurgitating what a simple search will reveal.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
The way I look at is, I wouldn't leave my dog in my house during the summer in high temps, why would I subject my fish to it.

As for many things used in fish keeping, the API tests have warnings more severe than Qiuck Cure. Does that mean you're gonna stop doing tests with it? Probably not is my guess.

I'll agree 100% with your final statement, whole heartedly .
The fact that I would never compare fish temps to dog temps aside, I would TOTALLY leave my dog in a warmer if not a little uncomfortable environment if it was either that or cram meds with a lot of warnings and side effects down his throat. It's not leaving them in the warm water just for the sake of doing it, you are trying to save the fish, and the meds often cause death to the fish as well. The salt/heat method of curing ich is really IME and IMO the best, safest, and fastest way. I have heard quick cure can be a good one if the salt/heat fails or if you have very very salt sensitive fish like cories in your tank, otherwise I am pretty sure salt/heat is the best way to go.
To the OP, I am sorry you are having such trouble, and I hope you are able to remedy the problem. Maybe you can purchase future fish from either hobbyist or mom and pop stores etc.. where they don't have quite the rate of diseased fish, although I do occassionally pick up critters from bigger box stores, I just QT them before adding them to my tanks. Good luck to you getting it all straightened out. - Ash
Old 05-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys... I was trying the salt and heat and lost all my neons so I turned the heat down to 82 ... Bc the flames seemed very stressed... My pleco has swam up a few times for air bubbles..and I have two filters and a bubble wand. I got some API ich cure to makes sure I knock it out... I'm afraid to keep the temp up so high...

How does a QT tank work ?? How long do u leave them in it ??
Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
The Freshwater Quarantine Tank
Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake
Thanks flake
Old 05-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes2ashes View Post
The fact that I would never compare fish temps to dog temps aside, I would TOTALLY leave my dog in a warmer if not a little uncomfortable environment if it was either that or cram meds with a lot of warnings and side effects down his throat. It's not leaving them in the warm water just for the sake of doing it, you are trying to save the fish, and the meds often cause death to the fish as well. The salt/heat method of curing ich is really IME and IMO the best, safest, and fastest way. I have heard quick cure can be a good one if the salt/heat fails or if you have very very salt sensitive fish like cories in your tank, otherwise I am pretty sure salt/heat is the best way to go.
To the OP, I am sorry you are having such trouble, and I hope you are able to remedy the problem. Maybe you can purchase future fish from either hobbyist or mom and pop stores etc.. where they don't have quite the rate of diseased fish, although I do occassionally pick up critters from bigger box stores, I just QT them before adding them to my tanks. Good luck to you getting it all straightened out. - Ash
So you're selective about which pet in you care gets proper treatment? Interesting notion I never considered, since I prefer treating my pets as equals and make sure any/all of them are treated with the respect and care they deserve.

So no meds ever, never ever? Does that include other products like Prime, since that too carries a (human) warning too? Well, sans inverts, baby whale and elephant nose .

As for the UK waring on malachite green? If one actually read the article, they "suspected (it) of causing cancer" with no actual proof. When it's proven, then your point would be valid.

FYI: API recommends that along with their salt, you should use API's Super Ick Cure .

Here's some info on heat/salt that might be elighting:

* Raising the temperature to 80F reduces the oxygen level in the water which can make it more difficult for the fish to breathe.
* Higher temperatures encourage the rapid growth of bacteria and fungus, putting the fish at increased risk of secondary infections.
* Higher temperatures speed up the rate at which the ich reproduces and therefore places more stress on an already vulnerable fish population.
* Coldwater fish such as goldfish will be put under more stress by a tropical-level temperature.
* Such a high level of salt places osmotic stress on the fish as well as the ich tomites, so if the fish is badly infested and therefore already struggling to control its osmoregulation - then this might be enough to kill it.
* There is no real evidence that darkness inhibits cilliated protozoans.

Flossie:

Good call on the ick cure IMO, since the stress caused by heat/salt could certainly be more debilitating.

Good luck!

Tags
equipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com