Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Newbie Equipment Q's

sadly my fish seem to be coming down with ich so i ran to walmart for a heater and aquarium salt. My aquarium stays 78/80 and the heater i got unfortunately keeps the aquarium at 72 I think lol so i'll be taking it back. While I was there I picked up some filters that were on sale. I have a 10 and a 55g and I want to add some extra filters for a couple reasons. Anywho... they had a 2-10 g whisper on sale for like 7 bucks so I got it for the ten and then they had a whisper 10-30g on sale for like 10 buck so I picked it up for the 55g. Is that okay? Did I do ok?? Also I should probably take the heater back I guess since it is not adjustable. Were the filters a good investment or should I take them back as well and get something better? My aquariums already have filters... I just wanted to add some extras

Old 05-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those pre-set heaters are not very useful IMO, I prefer the Aqueon Pro series of heaters. The filters should be fine, although my goto HOB filter is the Aqua Clear series of filters. As long as the 10-30g filter is just additional filtration and you already had adequate filtration in place, you'll have the most important element needed for an emergency QT setup. With a seeded filter, you can setup a QT in about 10 minutes if you have a spare heater and tank. Don't forget, the QT can be a clear plastic tub too.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet
Those pre-set heaters are not very useful IMO, I prefer the Aqueon Pro series of heaters. The filters should be fine, although my goto HOB filter is the Aqua Clear series of filters. As long as the 10-30g filter is just additional filtration and you already had adequate filtration in place, you'll have the most important element needed for an emergency QT setup. With a seeded filter, you can setup a QT in about 10 minutes if you have a spare heater and tank. Don't forget, the QT can be a clear plastic tub too.
Awesome. I went ahead and threw the smaller filter in the ten gallon bc of the heavy bioload...Crap I forgot to rinse it though!!! I did take the carbon out. I am
Trying to treat ich. I think I will take the heater back. I got up and rinsed the free anyways should be ok since I took the carbon out. Grrr I'm never going to get the hang of this lol
Old 05-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie

Awesome. I went ahead and threw the smaller filter in the ten gallon bc of the heavy bioload...Crap I forgot to rinse it though!!! I did take the carbon out. I am
Trying to treat ich. I think I will take the heater back. I got up and rinsed the free anyways should be ok since I took the carbon out. Grrr I'm never going to get the hang of this lol
You'll get it, just give it time and have faith in your abilities. With that said, the first rule of adding anything is rinse anything you add to a tank, or move from tank to tank. Any new fish should be QT when adding to a a stable tank.

How are you treating the ick, salt & heat?
Old 05-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bought salt and that heater to keep
My temp up but the heater obviously isn't what I needed so I'm leaving the light on to keep the tank warm bc it is around 78/80 now. I put six teaspoons of salt . I hope I don't loose any fish. I'm having the worst luck. Mouth fungus guppies then issues with betta now this ugh. Frustrating ... U have any other advice on ich ? I'm clueless
Old 05-20-2011, 04:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I bought salt and that heater to keep
My temp up but the heater obviously isn't what I needed so I'm leaving the light on to keep the tank warm bc it is around 78/80 now. I put six teaspoons of salt . I hope I don't loose any fish. I'm having the worst luck. Mouth fungus guppies then issues with betta now this ugh. Frustrating ... U have any other advice on ich ? I'm clueless
Heat & salt seem to be the prefered cure here, I prefer using Quick Cure myself.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Heat & salt seem to be the prefered cure here, I prefer using Quick Cure myself.
Well I just ran to walmart and grabbed some aquarium salt at like 11:30 lol I didn't wanna wait til pet stores opened... I wanted to catch it soon. I've never treated ich so really idk what I'm doing either way lol
Old 05-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Well I just ran to walmart and grabbed some aquarium salt at like 11:30 lol I didn't wanna wait til pet stores opened... I wanted to catch it soon. I've never treated ich so really idk what I'm doing either way lol
Just remember, 1 rounded tablespoon for each 5g of water. If you have plants, you'll want to remove them at some point as the salt will do them in.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Just remember, 1 rounded tablespoon for each 5g of water. If you have plants, you'll want to remove them at some point as the salt will do them in.
No plants ... Just the tetras a pleco. I'm hoping they all make it. I'm terrible at this!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

No plants ... Just the tetras a pleco. I'm hoping they all make it. I'm terrible at this!
Should be OK then. You're fine at this, just having a rough start and the benefit of that is once you're more experienced you'll have a lot of knowledge to pass along.

Tags
equipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com