Newbie filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is one black sponge in my filter enough to a) filter the water sufficiently and b) colonise my BB? I have a carbon filter. Having never seen one before, I didn't know it was one. So now that I want to remove it, will the remaining black sponge be ok on its own or do I need more than one black sponge?

Thanks

Is one black sponge in my filter enough to a) filter the water sufficiently and b) colonise my BB? I have a carbon filter. Having never seen one before, I didn't know it was one. So now that I want to remove it, will the remaining black sponge be ok on its own or do I need more than one black sponge?

Thanks
What size tank, stock, filter make&model???

Hi sorry it's a 64litre lovefish panorama tank. Not sure what make/model the filter is but it came with the tank. I'll have a look when I get home.

The tank is heavily planted and contains 8 harlequin rasboras and 2 assassin snails.

Hi sorry it's a 64litre lovefish panorama tank. Not sure what make/model the filter is but it came with the tank. I'll have a look when I get home.

The tank is heavily planted and contains 8 harlequin rasboras and 2 assassin snails.
Yeah it will be fine with the one black sponge. The BB doesn't live on the carbon anyway so no problems there. I would stick a bit of floss in there too, if you have room. It will keep the water super clear.....

Thanks bud

I'm not sure what the benefits of carbon are really unless you using medications. I heard they keep the water clear and reduce smells but at least the floss will do part of that.

Cheers

Thanks bud

I'm not sure what the benefits of carbon are really unless you using medications. I heard they keep the water clear and reduce smells but at least the floss will do part of that.

Cheers
Yeah, that's exactly what it does. Floss will do the trick. Add some Purigen if you have the room....

Back
Top Bottom