Newbie lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clint252010

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have a small 10 gal tank that has a 20" type "E" incandescent 50W lid, containing two incandescent 15 watt 120v bulbs.

Well one of these bulbs burnt out and I cant seem to find a replacement bulb anywhere.

The ones I can find are 25 watts but i dont want to get the higher wattage and run the risk of melting my hood.

However, the lid says "50watts" on it, and there are only 2 15 watts in there which is a total of 30watts. So since the lid says 50 watts does that mean i can safely put two 25W bulbs in there (for a total of 50W)?

All it is is a switch, cord, and two sockets, being that i also study electronics and such i know that the cord and switch do not pull 20W by themselves, so if the lid says 50W that must mean you can use up to two 25W bulbs right?

Anyways, I can find the 25W all day long, could i safely use a 25W and the remaining 15W (40W total)? the lid does have metal reflectors (which help block some of the heat) and vents.

(well i dont know, on second thought after doing the math 20 watts is 160mA, the cord and switch might pull 160mA but thats really steep for just a cord and switch. That would still mean it would pull more than the 15W bulb itself which is highly unlikely)

Last edited:
You can get those bulbs at walmart or petsmart or any place that sells aquarium equipment... I actually have some of the cfl (curly) flourescent bulbs in mine. The kind that only use like 13w but have the output of a 60w bulb. Alot less heat and brighter light, and theyre only like $2 each in the standard bulb isle

Man I went to petsmart, Walmart, Lowes, and Kmart. Nobody had a 15 watt bulb in that particular size and if they did it had a smaller socket size (instead of the regular socket size). The only ones anybody had with a regular socket size were 25watts and up.

I thought about getting some flourescents but the only compact one that was that particular size and shape (long and tubular with an incandescent base) I saw was at Lowes and it was 40W and like $10.

I would love to know where some 13W ccfl bulbs with a regular base for $2 are. I would snatch them up in a heartbeat.

Maybe I'll see if i can find some online

I thought about getting some flourescents but the only compact one that was that particular size and shape (long and tubular with an incandescent base) I saw was at Lowes and it was 40W and like $10.

That CF is prob NOT 40 W. They label the CF's crazy with the equivalent incandescent W out put. So a 13W CF is often labeled as a "60W" (in big letters) "incandescent replacement" (in tiny prints). The actual wattage of the bulb is buried in the fine print somewhere!

An example is this Sylvania package:
Sylvania 13W compact fluorescent light bulb 8-pack
<It at least has the 13W in big enough letters to read, but lots of people look at the package & think that it is a 60 W bulb.>

BTW - that link is 8 bulbs for $20. If you are paying $10 for one, you are getting ripped off!

In our area, most big box store (HD, etc) & even walmart has the minispirals (10-13W Daylights) at 6 - 8 for $20. <For some strange reason, if you just want to buy one, it is $5 or 6.> In Canada, Ikea still sells the CF's in the straight tube format (much better for a fish tank) at ~2-3 each. They are phasing out the straight tube CF's elsewhere for some reason, so I found some for $1 each at a Dollar store!

I have to agree with mfd cuz if its the same kind of hood I have in my 10 gal I was able to find the lights at petsmart, but getting a cfl will save you money in your utilities for sure.

I got my mini at Wal-Mart in the pet section...15w=50watts or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom