Newbie Needing Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquanoobie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just picked up a 60 liter tank for free from a guy moving back to the States (I live in Germany) for free. The filter and heater were trashed so I ordered a new Jäger 75 heater and a Fluval U2 internal filter. I leaked checked the tank for eight hours, no leaks and everything looks good. Now for my questions.

1. What is the best way to kickstart a fishless cycle?
2, How do I know The tank is ready to add fish?
3. What is the best schooling fish to start with in a community tank?
4. What is the best water dechlorinator/stabilizer on the market.
5. What is the and most affordable water test kit?

Thanks for your help, I have been reading all I can but I have found it a bit difficult to find answers to these specific questions.

I just picked up a 60 liter tank for free from a guy moving back to the States (I live in Germany) for free. The filter and heater were trashed so I ordered a new Jäger 75 heater and a Fluval U2 internal filter. I leaked checked the tank for eight hours, no leaks and everything looks good. Now for my questions.

1. What is the best way to kickstart a fishless cycle?
2, How do I know The tank is ready to add fish?
3. What is the best schooling fish to start with in a community tank?
4. What is the best water dechlorinator/stabilizer on the market.
5. What is the and most affordable water test kit?

Thanks for your help, I have been reading all I can but I have found it a bit difficult to find answers to these specific questions.

1. The best way is to find a friend to give you seeded media. Second best is ammonia.
2. Ammonia goes to zero within a day of adding, nitrites drop and nitrates rise.
3. Zebras, tetras or barbs will work. Check compatibility of what you want.
4. Seachem liquid prime (or powder Safe).
5. Best is API liquid test, not sure about most affordable.

I am also relatively new to aquariums but the way i started my 30 gal tank was

Fill tank with all decorations and gravel
Fill tank with water
Install heater and allow it to acclimate before turning it on ( overnight should do )
Then turn on heater and let it reach safe temp.
All along allowing filter to run
Chemical wise I believe any water conditioner sold at most pet stores is a safe bet to remove chlorine and make water safe
After about 2 days what I did was just sprinkle some fish food in the tank and the cycling will begin
The cycling can easily take 2 weeks during which time u will need to test for nitrites nitrates and ammonia
I would not skimp on the test kit I purchased the API Master kit which was a bit pricey but gave u all u need in one box
When all tests read zero the cycle is complete
Then u can start to introduce fish (slowly) maybe 3 or 4 hardy inexpensive fish like plattys
Leave them in there for about a month testing quite often.
There u go , that's how I did it with great results. I'm sure many others will have other helpfull advice. But this way worked for me.
Good Luck

Also remember that during the cycling phase the levels of ammonia and nitrates will rise and fall quite aggressively but don't get freaked out they will level out. Also after the cycling is done make sure u check PH levels.
I don't know if it would be available to u in Germany but I guess with the Internet it shouldn't be a problem but I'm a little embarrassed to say this but I purchased a Used copy of freshwater aquariums for Dummies from Amazon for about $ 5.00. and it gave me alot of practical advice
Again Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom