Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2005, 07:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Cash Turtle
I dont think any turtle stays that small
I know a decent amount, I have a red eared slider and a three toed box turtle
If you mpost a picture of the turtles i should be able to tell what they are, and if i cant i know people that can

Old 10-21-2005, 07:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonmommy
I almost forgot, the tank holds water, i tested it, now its draining so i can clean it to bring it inside

Old 10-21-2005, 07:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

right now this is the only photo i can find of her, she is clearly not a red eared slider as this guy is

his name is SwimAway (named by my kid) and her name is Shelly.
Shelly is black with no real spots of color on her, she is also quite small.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

For hoods, try glass hoods. They are cheap (about $10 each). If you do purchase glass hoods, you need to know the brand of tank that you own. You will want to purchase a 48" kit. It comes with 2 seperate glass hoods. Do NOT buy 2 24" hoods. They don't fit. I speak from experience. I now have 2 Perfecto 24 inch hoods and 2 All Glass 24 inch hoods. Eagerly awaiting the 48" kit.

I'd go with a canister also. When it comes to canisters, you don't need to overdo the filtration. Aim for about 5 turnovers per hour. You can use a power filter, but if you are going to have African Cichlids, you'll need extra filtration. They are messy. So you'll need to double up on the power filters and run about 10x turnover rate per hour.

I would not mix South American and African Cichlids. I have done it in the past, but it's generally not a good idea. Dietary needs, water parameters, and aggression are big factors in this. Africans are generally more aggressive. They also prefer a higher pH. Crushed coral in the filter will help increase this level. This is not to say that it CAN'T be done, it's just that its better to have them seperate.

With the heater, just turn it sideways in the tank, parallel to the gravel.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I want Oscars too, what can I mix them with? Africans? I hope.

Why dont 2 24 in hoods work? I tried to buy glass and they didn't have it. This tank has the divider and is set up for 2 24's, does that make any difference?

Oh how do i find the brand of tank?
The heater isnt fully submersible, the top stays out of the water, so i think 2 smaller heaters would be the way to go
Old 10-21-2005, 10:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Something I Have never kept is one of those lil puffer fishies, what do I need to know about them?
Do you mean dwarf puffers? If I were you I would avoid them unless you want a puffer-only tank.

Quote:
Do I NEED an undergravel filter? I have alwasy run one, but how necessary is it?
No. In fact UGF are one of, if not, the worst filter you can get. I have an Emperor 400 and they are pretty cheap (around here they are $40).

Quote:
Our local fish store has a 250 watt heater, but the 300 watt is 18 inches long and will not clear once gravel and stuff is in there, so should I run two heaters or will a 250 watt do it?
250 watts will work fine.

Quote:
I have been pricing and I can get everything I need for 100.00 except fish, plants and gravel which I have to get locally, not ordered.
Real or fake plants?

Quote:
I have a twin port air pump, hope it works... lets see. Ok yes it works, that will save me a little cash.
Air pumps are not needed. They are more for decoration.

Quote:
What about cycling? To be honest I I haven;t started a new tank in so long I dont remember how to properly cycle a tank. The 10 gallon was a new set up, but I had fish that had to go in right away (rescued from moms pond)
Fishless is the best method. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=15

This works for freshwater, too.

Quote:
a full clean out (except the filter) every 3 months on adverage.
Can you give more details about this.

HTH,
Justin
Old 10-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I want Oscars too
A 55 gal is not suitable for them.

HTH,
Justin
Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
The tank is to small for an Oscar, and SA and African cichlids do not generally mix well.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

The full clean out was exactly that, tear down the entire tank and spray it out. I never cleaned the filter during this time except to maybe remove some of the excess sludge that was affecting the pumping ability.

As for the undergravel filter I mean running one in addition to another filter, not alone thats just completly inefficient.

Fake plants, real ones are a PITA

I do run air pumps for the undergravel filter (which I may skip this time) and for decoration. Since I already have one its no big deal.

I will for sure run a fishless cycle, that was my plan. As soon as i get a filter I will do that.

OK now my hood problem, please help. I NEED a hood thats all there is to it. The problem is while the tank is 48 inches, the inset openeing for 1 hood is 46 and 1/3 and the inset for 2 hoods 9since there is a divider) is 23 not 24. So what the heck size hoods do i get? I do want two hoods I have decided because I was looking at the availability of replacment bulbs in my area and the ones for 24 inch hoods are way easier and afforadble. So what the heck can i do? I also decided on full hoods not glass tops and a light fixture. So if i buy 24 inch hoods will they fit?
Old 10-21-2005, 11:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I checked out that article and its for cycling a saltwater tank, I am going to look for a freshwater one
OK I am confused now, do I have saltwater when cycling a freshwater tank?

Tags
updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com