Newbie needs some help with a filtration system.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThrowingChicken

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have converted an old bubble gum machine into an aquarium but now I find myself at a stand still concerning the water filtration system. The sphere when empty holds about 13 gallons of water, and the opening on the top is 5.5in in diameter. I guess I am looking for a filtration system that can go inside of the tank through the opening, or possibly one that can hang from the rim.

Form is a big issue for me concerning this tank. I would hate to have to remove the top that covers the opening and have a large filter sticking out. With that top on there is maybe an inch, though probably less, of space between the lid and the desired water level. If anyone can help me find the pump that is right for this project I would be greatly appreciative. If there is anything else needed to be known please ask. If need be, it may be possible to come in through the bottom, if an idea can be brought fourth where that is the scenario.

Thanks.

For reference, the bubble gum machine is the same model as the one in this image.

bubble%20gum.JPG

You have three options as I see it:

1. A round undergravel filter tun by an airpump (airline would need to be fed in through the bubble top).

2. A small submersible filter, such as a Fluval 1+.

3. A canister filter with the intake and outflow hoses entering the bubble via drilled (and sealed) holes in the bubble bottom.

I am not sure just how easily the third option would be engineered, as I am not familiar with the construction of the bubble's bottom, what sort of a cavity lies just beneath it, and how each (or either) have been modified to permit the bubble to be water-tight. The third option would also likely be the most esthetic, provide the best filtration, but also be the most difficult and expensive, too.

Do you think that you could drill it to safely and securely introduce a couple of tubes into the tank without having to worry about long-term integrity?

Id say it is possible. There is already a tube runing through for air bubbles. If i got one of those pumps would it include everything i need, or would i need to buy some pipe? Also, once the tubes go inside of the bubble how do they function? I mean, from the inside, would there just be an in and an out tube sticking up through the bottom, or would they need to connect to something?

ThrowingChicken said:
Id say it is possible. There is already a tube runing through for air bubbles. If i got one of those pumps would it include everything i need, or would i need to buy some pipe? Also, once the tubes go inside of the bubble how do they function? I mean, from the inside, would there just be an in and an out tube sticking up through the bottom, or would they need to connect to something?

You might need to buy some extra tubing to make it work better and look good. The tubes would come out and terminate in a canister filter like these:

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/filstar.html

So the Fluval would be kind of the economy way to go, but the canister filter is better. If I went with the Fluval what would be the cons besides it having to be seen and be in the way?

Aside from that, having to haul it out and clean it every couple of weeks, I suppose. With clever decorating, you could likely make the Fluval less visible to at least 50%-70% of the tank's veiwing area.

What about Heaters? I live in Denver and I don't run the central heat too often, so it can get a little chilly in the apartment.

Back
Top Bottom