Newbie question pt2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warped1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Over 20 years ago UGF's were all the rage. Now they are not and I am scared that a Marineland c-220 filter for a FW 36gal corner tank will not provide enough biological filtration. Am I wrong with this assumption. Can you offer any suggestions to maximize the biologics for the c-220? Thanks

Hi warped1 and welcome. You came to the right place to find stuff like this out. Have you checked the reviews for a review of the filter you're considering?

I can say that I have a UGF in my 30 gal and don't really like it. After a while, they all seem to provide almost no water movement whatsoever. It clogs up really fast, and you can't grow root feeding plants with them or they'll get seriously clogged up. You CAN still grow many ferns, mosses, and floating plants if you should ever choose to. It may be best to buy an HOB or a canister filter that will be more versatile for any other uses you may want to use it for.

Also, some UGF's don't have the ability to chemically filter w/ crushed coral, peat, carbon, etc.. Just some things to consider.

I agree with Pitt. The UGF has seen its better days. If you are wanting to go with a power filter, I'd go with an AquaClear 70. I don't have any experience with the Marineland brand in regards to canisters so I can't comment on that specific filter. If you stick with the big name brand canister companies, you can't go wrong.

Wow !

THIS SITE IS FREAKING AWESOME! - Thanks so much for the responses. I figured (when I joined this site) that since I'm not "hip to" or "down with" state of the art fish keeping I would be ignored. I figured you wouldn't bother with a novice. Lord was I wrong. I now have a really good feeling that this tank I'm about to start is going to be just fine. You people are the best and I thank you. --- I only hope that - at some point - I can return the favor :-D
P.S. - My tank will only be worked on for start up every other weekend - They are the days my son is with me (divorced - and he lives far away from me). Slow progress I know, but this is going to be our tank - our hobby - our love.
But I will be sure to keep you all posted with progress..........and problems.

That's great to hear Warped. And working on it every other weekend, that will be an advantage to you at the start. It will allow you to cycle the tank fishless without needing to rush and add fish before the cycle is complete. Have you read up on cycling the tank and establishing beneficial bacteria?

Check out this article for Info on fishless cycling
And this article for Info on the Nitrogen cycle

No problem at all warped. All of us were newbie's once.

There is another member here who has a "Parent-child" tank and was sort of struggling with an ornament he didn't want but that his daughter wanted in. Someone suggested gettign a nice big java fern to put in front of it and I got a kick out of that.

Though I'm 26, I still kind of consider my (my father's old) 55 gallon one of them. He doesn't get any input anymore (he was a saltie), though I still use alot of his equipment in it and it reminds me of him.

Do be sure to keep us updated with progress and problems. Also we love pics. Having a reliable source of info like AA will really give you some peace of mind and the confidence to push yourself, try new things, and delve deeper into the hobby.

Be careful though!!! I learned the hard way that looking at pictures of things makes you want them.

UGF's still serve a purpose in the FW aquarium. I have had one in my 30g FW (with a PH) for over 2 years with no issues what so ever. Other than planted tanks (and there are those that use them sucessfully with those too), they work great.

Keep your tank clean, don't over feed and vacuum y9our gravel and they work just great. But then doesn't EVERYONE do that anyway.

I hear alot of people diss them. My guess is very few ever used them for any length of time. Any filter if not maintained will cause problems.

Hi there! Welcome back to fish keeping. I'm definitely feeling newbie-ish most days when there are so many knowledgeable people on AA.

I seem to remember running a 20 (maybe 29?) gal. a few years ago with both a UGF and I think an HOB. I don't remember the specs. on that tank. Mostly because I didn't like the only inhabitant, but also because my fish were in a different tank.

Good luck with the new setup, and I hope you and your son enjoy. :)

Again thanks for the advice. Now I really can't wait until my kid comes down this weekend. I think we will start to shop around for some gravel - artificial plants - decorations - etc. I hope, and there is every indication that it will, become a hobby for my son also - who then can pass it on to his children. The information on fishless cycling was impressive. It is much better than the old way of throwing some starter fish in and pray they survive. I'm still a little shaky on the nitrite, nitrate thing so I better include a book on such things in our shopping trip. Truly, thanks a million :)

I just picked up David Boruchowitz's "The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums." Walks you through and explains all the basics.

Everything beyond the basics is covered by all the immensely knowledgeable people on these forums. You're definitely right in that they're awesome, lol! Good luck!

Just wanted to post my $0.02 about the Marineland C-220 filter.

I've owned one since November 2007, and have been running it on a 30 gallon long tank. It's a fully planted tank, so nitrification isn't as important for this tank as it is for yours.

I love the filter (easy to perform maintence, easy to detach from aquarium), but the one problem area I have is the flow rate. After 3 months, I can't get the flow rate back to where it was initally. I've tore down everything but the inlet/outlet assemblies to clean. If your flow rate drops as much as mine has in a 36 gallon tank, I think you'd have real problems, but I can't tell you if it's something I'm doing wrong, or the filter.

The filter can handle a large bio load, but I'd replace the bio-balls with Sechem Matrix or some other dense media (Fluval ceramic rings, or Matrix, or my current choice Ehiem Ehfisubstrat Pro). Maybe take out the ceramic rings Marienland provides and replace with something that houses more bacteria as well. The Marineland ceramic rings are really smooth, and I think are more for coarse mechanical filtration than biological filtration; the provided sponges do a good enough job at that.

Hopefuly this rambling give you a little information.

There is another member here who has a "Parent-child" tank and was sort of struggling with an ornament he didn't want but that his daughter wanted in. Someone suggested gettign a nice big java fern to put in front of it and I got a kick out of that.

Tying a bit of Java moss onto it would also do it too :) heheheheheehe

Everyone on this site is a great help, I'm a newbie too, but I hope I stick with hobby and learn all that I can! : ) This is a great hobby for you and your son, and I hope things work out for you, Good luck! : )

Back
Top Bottom