Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Newbie questions

Ok I got two questions, both are probably very simple to answer, I just have no experience with either. First, I keep hearing about some kinda tube that takes the water from the cleaning vacuum straight to the faucet and then refills the tank with tap water, my question is why doesn't the chlorine in the tap kill the fish if you just refill with tap???

Also what is a sump?? I know these are probably stupid questions but Im always willing to learn.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1) a common vacuum is called Python, google it and you'll see it, works well.

2) you should add a tap water conditioner to tap water to get rid of chlorine etc, I recommend Prime.

3) a sump is essentially another tank that sits below and drains water from the display tank (via a overflow box) and pumps it back up. It's a good way to add water volume and hide filtration equipment, not so necessary for fresh water but more so for saltwater, I have attached a pic of my sump design to give you an idea.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So do you add the water conditioner after the tap water is already in your tank? isnt it too late at that point???
Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-j
So do you add the water conditioner after the tap water is already in your tank? isnt it too late at that point???
You should add it to a bucket then add water in the bucket so it mixes. If your setting up a new tank do you know about properly cycling it first so you don't kill all your fish?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah my tanks been cycled for like 3 months, and I have been adding water this whole time using 2L soda bottles, mixing the water conditioner in before its added to the tank. I was just wondering whether the tube fills your tank up with tap and then you add conditioner or if it directs it to a bucket and then you add conditioner and fill your tank up from the bucket
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-j
yeah my tanks been cycled for like 3 months, and I have been adding water this whole time using 2L soda bottles, mixing the water conditioner in before its added to the tank. I was just wondering whether the tube fills your tank up with tap and then you add conditioner or if it directs it to a bucket and then you add conditioner and fill your tank up from the bucket
You can add it in your tank as the tube is filling it, they are really helpful for taking water out of your tank.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're looking for what's commonly referred to as a "python". There are a few brands available. I have the Lee's Aquatics 50ft version and it's wonderful. If I'm in a hurry, I can do PWCs on five tanks in about half an hour.

I add the water conditioner to the tank before I refill the tank straight from the tap. I usually aim to treat the amount of water I'm replacing plus a little bit.

Google "Melev's Reef" and read his sump page. There's more information there than I can post here.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks big Jim that's the info I needed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com