Newbie sump problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vettin2nite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a 125 gal All Glass w/dual overflows and a 200 gal. Pro Clear Aquatics sump. I'm using 2 Lifetech 4550 pumps rated at 2650 L/H so i'm guessing there flow is around 650 gph......my problem is with both pumps running the sump level drops below the indicated water line and they start sucking air...i'm using clear hose for my return lines and there approx. 5 ft each...my lfs recommended only running 1 pump but that answer just didn't make much sense to me........any help would be greatly appreciated

Do the overflows keep up well with the pumps until the water level drops?

Sounds like either your water level(s) are too low or you need to install a ball valve in the return lines to regulate the flow a bit.

Cheers
Steve

Agree with steve. If you are sucking the sump dry, what is the water level in the tank?

The water level is 1" below the top frame, and yes the overflows run fine until the sump level drops. I hooked up my 2nd pump today and added water to the sump; now my sump level is about 4" above the marked line, but my overflows are near empty (approx. 1" in each one) and making noise....Do you suppose a pair of ball valves on my return lines would solve the problem, and do they leak at all? Also should my overflows stay full at all times? Thanks Steve & Ellisz----Glad i found this site......

Are you running a standpipe of any sort on the overflow? The water level in the overflow should be an inch or 2 below the overflow wall.

In a full system, if the pump removes all the water from the sump then the tank will overflow. In a sump system, the water in the tank will always stay full and the sump level will drop, usually from evaporation.

No the overflows don't have standpipes on them....he sold me 2 perforated cylinders about 6" high with foam blocks to slip over them.....are you recommending installing pipes in the bulkheads an inch or 2 below the lip of the overflow? I looked on Sea Clears website and i discovered i had my top plate upside down....now the water pours good into the sump but it drains the overflows. It also seems they use a filter pad in the top plate----which i don't have. Would that help slow down the flow and do i need one?.Thanks again

I have a All Galss 90g with the mega flow. There is an overflow kit with comes with everything you need including the stand pipes and returns. You would probably need 2 kits. I think this would take care of your issues.

I solved my problem by building 2 standpipes from the site you posted Steve.....the materials cost me around 16$ and worked out fantastic....Thanks again to everyone :D

Back
Top Bottom