Newbie tank filling question - DIY tank - Fish quantity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jespy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello forum!

Quick question from a fish tank newbie here. My parents have had fish before (fresh and tropical) but never had much to do with them - now i have my own place i'm starting a rather audacious DIY tank project! :fish2:

I'm going to be getting a custom tank made to 410x180x320 mm (WxDxH) - so pretty small!

How far from the top of the tank will i be able to fill with water? Ideally I'd like it to be ~20mm from the top of the tank to nicely match the enclosure. Is this too little? I have the ability to make the tank 410x180x340 mm (WxDxH) if really needed, although this limits access a little too much so I'd rather not!

Also with a tank this size ~21L (4.6 Imp Gal, 5.5 US Gal) I'm struggling with fish selection! What would be acceptable to both look populated and keep happy, healthy fish?

Thanks in advance!
Jespy
:fish1:

That size of a tank is really limiting in what you can put in there. Personally, I would only really put a betta in there and maybe some shrimp.

I'd just jump ahead and buy a $15 10 gallon. Much more stocking options.

Caleb

But then my tank idea wouldn't come off.

I've already invested a fair amount of money in this up to now - easily £150+ - so no matter which route I go, this tank will be made eventually.

That size of a tank is really limiting in what you can put in there. Personally, I would only really put a betta in there and maybe some shrimp.

A Betta was my initial idea. Or 5 or so neon tetras. Although i think the betta will look better and likely be easier!

A Betta was my initial idea. Or 5 or so neon tetras. Although i think the betta will look better and likely be easier!

The tank is too small for the neons sadly, they need at least a 10g. Bu tyou're right, the betta will be easier.

The tank is too small for the neons sadly, they need at least a 10g. Bu tyou're right, the betta will be easier.

Really? The local pet shop said that 5 tetras in a 20L tank is advisable, and i have 21.6! Although I think I trust the forum a little more!

Really? The local pet shop said that 5 tetras in a 20L tank is advisable, and i have 21.6! Although I think I trust the forum a little more!

Always always keep in mind the primary goal of a pet store.. To make more $$.

Always always keep in mind the primary goal of a pet store.. To make more $$.

While I agree in most normal scenarios, in this particular instance the pet store is run by a very close family friend, so the fish are free!

Neon tank size is a debatable thing. Fish stocking breaks down into bioload and swimming space. Your tank has enough bioload space for neon tetras- which is sort of a hard number and not really debatable. Swimming space is a lot more arguable- and people have different opinions of what constitutes acceptable swimming space.

I tend to agree that a 10 gallon is a minimum for neons, and some would say even larger than that, as they are fairly active.

You could always look into ember tetras, which are small and beautiful! A betta would also work- probably your best option.

A few male Endlers would work, colorful and active. Dwarf amber barbs and micro rasboras are also quite small and in my opinion do-able in that size tank.

Back
Top Bottom