'Night' Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I've noticed in some of the pics online that some people have a blue or red light as well as their normal lighting. I assume this is for nocturnal fish (correct me if i'm wrong!)

I have a couple of questions:

Firstly; Does this 'night' lighting stay on whenever the 'day' lighting is not?

Secondly; what are the best lights to use for this purpose?

At the moment i have a Power-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 15W T8 and an Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 15W T8, which one should i change?

Thanks!
Henry

It really depends on exactly what you are talking about.

There is blue lighting that is used in SW/Reef applications called actinic lighting. It is blue in color, though those bulbs probably aren't dim enough to be considered "night lighting".

The best way to add some night lighting or "moon lighting" as it is often called, is to added some strip LED lights to your existing fixture. Something like Flexible LED Light - Waterproof Flexible LED Strips - LED Flexible Light for Sale - ElementalLED.com would work very well. You just need a foot or 2 of this strip lighting, and a transformer to plug it into.

Ah, I see! Thanks...

With the LED moonlighting, will that affect the tank at all (I've read keeping the lights on for more than 12 hours can cause excess algae), not sure if dim LEDs would have the same algae effect - ?

Ah, I see! Thanks...

With the LED moonlighting, will that affect the tank at all (I've read keeping the lights on for more than 12 hours can cause excess algae), not sure if dim LEDs would have the same algae effect - ?

I doubt you'll see a problem with regular LEDs, with stronger ones that sustain plants and corals I'd say differently, though

Ah, I see! Thanks...

The moonlights don't emit enough light to affect algae growth or even the fish. Their only purpose is so the viewer can see his tank in a nocturnal state.

I have two tanks, a 29g planted community tank, and a 10g shrimp tank right now. Would it be a good idea to use these "night lights," or would it mess with the fish/shrimps day/night cycle? Thanks!

Unless it is super bright it won't effect them at all. I posted a website above that sells them as well if you have no luck with eBay.

Back
Top Bottom