Nitrate removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talbot1177

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi my nitrates aren't high and I know water changes are the best thing for nitrates. But I was looking round the Internet and came across a couple of products that seem to good to be true. One is seachem matrix and the other is JBL BioNitratEX was just wondering if these products work and how well??

The claims of both are essentially the same. My opinion is your will see minimal effect on nitrate level using either product. I have no doubt they are both great biological filtration media products, but the claim that they will allow anaerobic bacteria to colonize is pretty bold, given the flow rates through most folk's filter systems. I would think in order for there to be any anaerobic colonization you would need to set this media up in it's own very low flow reactor, as opposed to using in a normal filter. Even then, the results would probably not be mind blowing.

What it comes down to is basically yes, these products provide some great surface area for biological filtration, but the best way to remove nitrates in a FW system is through exporting nutrients the old fashioned way - water changes :)

Why don't you try a product like nitrazorb? It'll work more effectively, and start working right away, whereas, even if they did work, products like matrix take about 6 months for anaerobic bacteria to build up.

I have to use bottled spring water at about $1 per gallon and was looking at easy way around the expensive and "painful" weekly changes.

Conclusion: No substitute for weekly water changes.

Fluval Nitrate removal works short term. It costs about $15. It is actually cheaper to do more frequent water changes.

Seachem de-nitrate also works well, ....... but you need to have the flow under 50 GPH.

Seachem. denitrate

Good luck getting nitrates in control (under 30ppm) 0with something other than frequent water exchange .. I just say "good luck and keep us posted/" If something besides water changes works, I am up for it.

I would look into an algae scrubber if your wanting to remove a majority of the nitrates.

i have seachem matrix and 2x100ml bags of seachem purigen in my canister filter on my 55gal stocked with

1x angel
1x rtbs
5x polka dot loach
1x large green phantom pleco
6x skirt tetras

i did a water change after about 2 weeks no maintenace and my nitrates were at 10-20ppm before the water change. I believe the matrix and purigen can reduce nitrates but not to the point where your going to see under 10ppm.

Nitrate scubber looks awesome ........ but expensive

I would look into an algae scrubber if your wanting to remove a majority of the nitrates.

i have seachem matrix and 2x100ml bags of seachem purigen in my canister filter on my 55gal stocked with

1x angel
1x rtbs
5x polka dot loach
1x large green phantom pleco
6x skirt tetras

i did a water change after about 2 weeks no maintenace and my nitrates were at 10-20ppm before the water change. I believe the matrix and purigen can reduce nitrates but not to the point where your going to see under 10ppm.
What a great idea. I did not even know such a thing existed.

In my 38 gallon ....... which is 100% stocked with 44 fish per aqadvisor.com, I am running 3 x 100 ml bags of Purigen plus lots of Matrix in addition to the Fluval C3 Cnodes and the AquaClear bio-max. This does help keep nitrates in control but due to such heavy stocking, I have to make about 20% weekly water changes, substrate vacuums, & pre-filter rinsings to keep it 20 ppm nitrate or less.

The thing I hate about it is ...... to catch the waste before the BB convert it to nitrate ... the substrate vacuums have to be pretty thorough which means "re-aqua-scape" the darn tank constantly.

I had never heard of an algae scrubber but I watched the youtube video ...... and the $27 version doesn't cut it for aesthetics.

HOW TO: DIY algae scrubber - No more nitrates - YouTube

Looks like this would work but it's pricey:

HOG.5 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber - 1/2 Cube feeding per day - MAGNET VERSION

Here it is on Amazon for $129:

HOG.5 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber - 1/2 Cube feeding per day - MAGNET VERSION

Here is a youtube demo:

I really do like the idea. It seems to me I could alternate its use on both my tanks. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Anyone else that has used a algae scrubber that is not an eyesore for a freshwater tank please chime in.
Something tells me I'm going to end up getting one.

Edit: I posted a new thread on this over in the equipment forum:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...er-to-remove-nitrates-294734.html#post2801595

Nitrate Removers

Hi my nitrates aren't high and I know water changes are the best thing for nitrates. But I was looking round the Internet and came across a couple of products that seem to good to be true. One is seachem matrix and the other is JBL BioNitratEX was just wondering if these products work and how well??

Hello Tal...

Research a company named Acurel. They've been in the aquarium business for decades and make a poly fiber padded medium that will remove nitrates. I've used it quite a while with my water changes and my nitrates seldom rise above 10 ppm. Though I haven't tested the water in a long time. I use emersed land plants too to remove nitrates, but the product is relatively inexpensive because it lasts. Amazon may carry it for a good price.

B

this is just my thoughts, but instead of spending extra time/money/ electricity/ effort on removing nitrates, why not just simply either 1) upgrade the current stock to a bigger tank, or 2) cutback on your stock?

i understand that we all establish a basic desire of what we want in/from our tanks, but to me, the problem here lies with 44 fish in a 38.

Here's something cheap and simple you can try. Plant some Hornwort. Its an extremely fast growing (1-3" per day in optimal conditions) waterweed that sucks up ammonia and nitrates like a vacuum. Regular aquarium lighting should suffice unless you have a super tall hex tank which may require some brighter lights.

I have a 20 gallon tall with 4 goldfish who are fed twice a day by an automatic fish feeder and my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all undetectable since planting this plant. It will grow fast so just cut it in half every two weeks.

Here's something cheap and simple you can try. Plant some Hornwort. Its an extremely fast growing (1-3" per day in optimal conditions) waterweed that sucks up ammonia and nitrates like a vacuum. Regular aquarium lighting should suffice unless you have a super tall hex tank which may require some brighter lights.

I have a 20 gallon tall with 4 goldfish who are fed twice a day by an automatic fish feeder and my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all undetectable since planting this plant. It will grow fast so just cut it in half every two weeks.

Hey Thanks. Sounds like a great idea. I will look for some locally, tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom