Nitrate test question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteWolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have three tanks right now. When I test the Nitrate in all of them right after each other, do I really need to shake bottle number two all over again each time? I have the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

It wont hurt, but it's not necessary. You gotta shake it up to make sure it's not solidified, but the time it takes (less than 15-20 mins?) won't give it time to do so... it probably takes weeks to solidify. But, like I said, it certainly won't hurt anything if you want to do it for peace of mind.

Agreed - no need to shake it between every test when performing them in succession.

I recently contacted the API test kit company and they said that their suggestion is when you purchase the kit(or when you decide to use it the first time) you should shake it for 20 minutes. Then, if you use it weekly you could shake just a minute or so before using it and then shake as the instructions say. I agree that if you are doing multiple tests consecutively you would not need to do the shaking.

Back
Top Bottom