Nitrates up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bulldog39

Aquarium Advice Regular
All my fish are fine and corals doing ok. Well all but my toadstool is acting mad. My nitrates have went to 40 up to 60. I know it's not that high but noticing some algae on a few rocks and sand is turning brown. Should I worry or any hints to get it down?

IMO 40-60 is pretty high in a coral tank. Maybe no problem in FW ,you are going to have an algae issue and unhappy corals with levels that high in marine.
I am working my nitrates to under 10 presently with hope of under 5 soon...
Most reef tanks keepers shoot for lower then me..
Are you running a protein skimmer ? Is it doing a good job? They are very important to reef set ups IMO.
Getting it down ; water changes [no fun and $ in a 180], possibly purigen may help if you added enough, or even bio pellets in a reactor .I have just switched from bio pellets to carbon dosing. I am adding 20ml of vinegar everyday to my 120.It may take a while for the bacteria to build up but soon enough I will have control over my nitrates by how much carbon I inject. You must have a skimmer for bio pellets or carbon dosing.

Yeah I have a skimmer. Think my issue is because when I switched over my tanks to the 180 all my chaeto died. Think once I get more chaeto it will correct itself again. Might try sugar or vinegar till my lfs gets some chaeto in. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom