Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

No Sump Skimmer Solutions?

I've been running a HOB AquaC Remora Pro w/preskimmer box on my 110 tall tank for about 7 months. I really have no room for a sump now that the tank is up and running - can't fit much under the stand. The skimmer really is under-sized for my tank, the preskimmer box is huge ugly and a pain, and it is sooo noisy, I'm looking for any alternative.

Is there any such thing as a reasonably priced external skimmer that runs under the tank without a sump?

If not - I can fit a 10 gallon or 20 gallon high tank under my tank and I have a HOB fuge, so all I would need is room to skim. Anyone have DIY's for a small sump for a large tank?

Thanks all.

- Skins

Old 11-14-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Coralife Super Skimmer 220.. It can be used in a HOB configuration.. bigalsonine has the best price Ive seen..
As far as "reaonably priced" external skimmers go.. I really dont think there is one thats "cheap" and it would be best to have one mounted were its output is level with the water level in the tank so it wouldnt really go under the tank but more like in a side cabnet you would add..
you can also go with 2 skimmers if you were not aware..

Old 11-14-2005, 07:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

also.. a smallish sump is an option.. I wouldnt want to speculate at exactly how many gallons it would need to be the the bigger the better.. you would only need 500GPH flow for a exellent skimmer and the plumbing wouldnt need to be very big because the plumbing for 500 gph isnt very big (thus less room for water draining back down from the pipes doesnt have as much volume) In wich case I would go with the ASM G3 most likely..
http://www.asmskimmer.com/catalog/pr...products_id=31
get a small overflow box and a mag 7 and you should be set.. :P
Old 11-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sump design page:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/dog1/sumps.html

As you mentioned, you only need enough room to fit a skimmer. I would go with a 20g if you can fit it and from the drawing simply use the center chamber as a skimming chamber instead of the refugium in the picture.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, following up on this thread...

The biggest tank that I can actually fit under my tank is a 15H (20x10x18). If I eliminate the fuge portion and use the sump for skimming and my heaters - keeping half the tank (10inches long) dedicated to skimming, a small bubble trap and then a return chamber, would you think 15H would be sufficient for a sump taking 500GPH?

I would only be able to fit a ASM G1x due to the large footprint (and that's even pushing it). Would the ASM G1x (supposedly rated to 150 gallons) be an upgrade from the Remora Pro - sufficient for a 110gallon?

Thanks all.

- Skins
Old 11-16-2005, 02:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

you want to divide the number in half.. if thats all you can fit.. stick the remora pro on sump with the G1x and kick up the flow to 800 gph.. good luck

edit.. ack! the GPH number was assuming the G1x has a sandra 5000.. if it comes with a sandra 3000 the number would be 600GPH total.. HTH
Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

btw.. what are the dementions under your stand?
and you do know the sump doesnt have to be in the stand right? you could put it on a shelf or on the floor..
Old 11-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPete
If I eliminate the fuge portion and use the sump for skimming and my heaters - keeping half the tank (10inches long) dedicated to skimming, a small bubble trap and then a return chamber, would you think 15H would be sufficient for a sump taking 500GPH?

- Skins
I use a 10g and am pushing between 5-600gph through the sump with my mag9 and lifereef overflow box. Since you are using it for skimming you can run the flow as slow as you want so that you have the greatest amount of contact time between the water and your skimmer. Put a gate valve on the output of your pump so you can decide what setting is the most efficient and desirable for your application.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skimmer, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com