noisey overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chemicaledge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am new to this kind of setup.

i just set up a new 65 gallon drilled tank. it has an overflow box in the back with the return and drain lines going down to my filter box.

i am getting alot of water noise coming from my drain line ( the flex hose ) down to my filter box. its coming from both the hose and the water falling into the filter. sounds like my dishwasher when its draining. ive tried extending the pipe in the filter to stop the spashing effect, which helps a little. im also getting what i have found online as the toilet bowl effect ( not sure if thats the correct term ) in my overflow , where the water level keeps going up an down.

any advice would be great.

thanks

Welcome to AA!

Look up standpipes and durso fittings. There are a lot of DIY methods to quiet overflows.

thank you for all the quick responses . . .

i just finished changing the drain tube to a shorter one, taking out the extra sag in the line and it got alot better. i plan on rotating the filter box so that it will have a more direct course and i think that it will be complete. to almost no noise.

mmm sounds like your have the same problem as me... please let me know how you go.

is your overflow empty or full? the aim is to get it full to the same level as the tank. My friend has it and your can't even hear anything. mine is empty and it does sound like a toilet bowl is leaking and is very enoying, please keep us posted on how you go and if you have fixed it.

this is what mine looks like. is your the same?

thanks
pic2.jpg

Regards

Danny

If you have a standpipe with nothing covering it, try putting a short lenght of airline through the bottom of a plastic cup then placing the cup over the standpipe. I had to play with the setup a bit and have the airline wire tied to hold the cup at just the right level to keep it silent.

I just stuck an airline in my drain and the used a close pin to clip it to the side of my overflow. Noise gone!

Has anyone ever tried putting a piece of sponge in there? I would think that that would dampen the noise at the very least, as well as add some area for good bacteria to grow. For the set up in the picture I think I would stack that full of AC filter foam if I could get it to fit right.

First he needs a standpipe. Right now the water is entering the overflow and dropping to the bottom of the tank. There needs to be a standpipe in the overflow to raise the level of water in the overflow, lessining the distance droped.

A dorso stand pipe on the tank with the overflow that just goes down the hole would certainly solve all your woes! It would also prevent a complete emptying of the tank of the overflow ever decided to separate from the side of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom