Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2005, 01:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Noisey overflow...

Hey all,

I have my 75g set up, and I have been messing with the overflow for 2 days now, trying to tweak it to find the quietest arrangment I can find.

my overflow is much like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

It has 2 1" drains that empty to the sump below, the set of tubing is roughly 3-4 feet and dumps into the compartment with the LR rubble.

I currently have a Mag18 with @10feet of head going through 3/4" tubing. The papers for the pump say the minimum hose size for maximum flow is an inside diameter of 1 1/2" so I am assuming to get the best pressure, i should get a 3/4" to 1 1/2" adapter, then step it back down to 3/4" to go out the ball sockets i have on the end? I am asking this because I am thinking the problem might be the overflow is draining too fast... so I woulde need to pump more water into teh tank... I suppose I can set up a mag9.5 that I have laying around to see if the increased flow will help..

Over then what I mentioned about increased return gph, does anyone have any suggestions to get this thing quieter? Currently it makes a constant noise of someone trying to finish off a milkshake with a straw but MUCH MUCH louder.

TIA

Old 07-21-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thefishguy
what you can do is. the plastic screen under the foam. drill a whole just small enought for plastic air hose directly on top. the stick air hose in each one, hand the the end off to the side so it sucks up air.and she will lose the sucking sound

Old 07-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have airline hose in my drilled overflows and it works..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

you mean a air hose just inserted into the pipes leading from the overflow into the sump?
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thefishguy
yes stick about 6" of hose in the actual pipe, then the air will have a clear whole and will not be affected by the air, it comes standard on the cpr overflows
thefishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to stradt03
i've got almost the same overflow and it makes a quiet water trickling sound...i find it very soothing
Old 07-25-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmm mine isnt a dump every so often and the airhose didnt work.

The only way i could get it to quiet down is to install some ball valves on the ends of the overflow lines so that i can keep a small pool of water at the end of the line
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to FlyingL0

I used a couple drinking straws in mine... worked like a charm. I figured its fine till I find something better. I tried the air line method but it didnt work as well.

47G Bow, 45# Live Rock, DSB, 10g Sump w/ LR Rubble, AquaC Remora Pro, 2 Maxijet 900(s), Clean Up Crew - (7) Scarlet Hermits, (2) Emerald Crab, (11) Turbo Snails, (3) Nassarius Snails, (1) Fighting Conch, (1) Sand Sifting Star, (1) Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

* (2) Yellow Tail Damsel
* (2) Percula Clow
FlyingL0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com