Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Noisy Aquaclear 50

Hi guys, I bought an Aquaclear 50 from petsmart a few weeks ago, and I really like it. However, it is pretty noisy compared to my old whisper filter. The fishtank is in my bedroom but I really only notice the noise at night when there is no backround noise. The noise isnt real loud but enough to annoy me. Today I took the impellar out and cleaned it in water but no sound difference...I'm guessing this is normal and I should return the filter?

Tim.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Japola44
My aquaclear 20 is virtually silent. Try putting more water in your tank so the distance from where the water falls between the filter in the tank is shorter. This gets rid ofthe waterfall noise. Also if it is making a vibrating noise against the glass put some folded paper between the filter and tank to dull it out. If that doesn't help then i would return it, but in general all filters make some noise

"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Japola44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to degbowl
I have two that are very quiet. I sleep right next to one of the tanks. Sometimes I will have to clean the impeller. Occasionaly I have to change it. Then it is silent again.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My aquaclear is kinda loud too. I noticed that if I take the cover off, its not so loud. To keep dust and stuff from falling in, I put cling wrap over the top.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by degbowl
I have two that are very quiet. I sleep right next to one of the tanks. Sometimes I will have to clean the impeller. Occasionaly I have to change it. Then it is silent again.
may I ask what version yours is? like AQ30 or 50..
Old 02-19-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

An AC filter should be quiet, as far as motor noise goes. Return it and exchange for a new one.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to ringfinger
I recently bought 3 of AQ20 filters, so I have a bit of experience with this kinda thing. My first one was perfectly silent which is what made me want to get 2 more for other tanks. The other two were really noisy, and keeping the lid on made it worse.

After some experimenting I'm pretty sure that it has everything to do with getting all of the air out of the filter when it is first starting up. When I first put an AQ in my tank, I use a cup to scoop some water into the filter so that it doesn't run dry. Then I plug it in while set to maximum flow. It takes it a minute to suck the water up the tube, but you can speed it up by moving the lever back and forth from max to min. But it was this trick that seemed to cause it to be more noisy. Just leave it set to max while it slowly gets going, it might take longer but in my experience results in much more silent operation.

I'm really curious if anyone else has had a similar experience...?
Old 02-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to degbowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timster
Quote:
Originally Posted by degbowl
may I ask what version yours is? like AQ30 or 50..
I have two AQ70's. One for a 46 gal discus tank and one for a 40 gal fancy goldfish tank. They both work great and are quiet. I leave mine at max and let it slowly fill up.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Putting a rock on top of the lid will quiet any rattling from there.

Tags
aquaclear, aquaclear 50, clear, noisy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com