noisy filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it normal for a penguin 350 biowheel filter to be noisy? Like a clearly audible HUMMing sound?

Most filters I see are loud like that, but check to make sure it's clean. If you have money the tetra whisper filters (what I have) are not as noticeable. I have 2 in my room and I sleep fine.

Lt. said:
Is it normal for a penguin 350 biowheel filter to be noisy? Like a clearly audible HUMMing sound?

The bio wheels will make some noise, however it shouldn't be making a very noticeable humming sound as you put it. I had 2 on my 75g. The Aquaclear's are a very solid product and they are very quite. You just may have to remove the top from the filter.

Lt. said:

I've got a penguin bio-wheel 350 it's near silent other than water trickling. Sounds like you may either have something in the impeller or just a bad motor. They can be replaced under 20 bucks.

Yeah, I got it used, WITH a tank, and thought, Oh great, free filter! But I suppose not.

The filter or the motor?

Lt. said:
Yeah, I got it used, WITH a tank, and thought, Oh great, free filter! But I suppose not.

The filter or the motor?

The motor. Most LFS carry replacement parts, but they keep them off the main floor most of the time so just call around and ask if they have a new motor for your model. Even if they don't have it its something they can order, and its a lot cheaper that replacing the entire filter. First check the impeller tho. If the magnet looks really scored up you may wanna start with just that then. If that magnet isn't smooth it makes a ton of racket. The impeller on my magnum 350 is going and it's starting to get pretty noisy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then if stil don't work you can just look me up on Facebook and post it to my wall. Or if you feel like doing that anyways I'm the only Ryan LaVassor on Facebook.

Lt. said:
NOW its public, please look and and help me if you can.

Have you looked at the impeller yet? Kinda sounds like the magnet in impeller might scratched up from getting sang in it or other fine particles. See if you can get a good pic of it.

I am running an Emperor 280 (Marineland/Penguin) side by side with an Aquaclear 50 and the noise difference is quite noticeable. The Emperor has a clearly audible low hum. Had it several years, cleaned the impeller housing a few times but made no difference in the noise. Would not use it in a aquarium in the bedroom. Would not describe it a noisy.

Usually when my filters are noisy I just keep moving stuff around until I figure out the problem. It's not the most efficient method though.

I give up, what's the best, quietest filter I can get for $50, for a normally stocked 45 gal?

Lt. said:
I give up, what's the best, quietest filter I can get for $50, for a normally stocked 45 gal?

Aquaclear 50 $39.99. Rated for 50 gal. So you may want to consider going a little bigger I always like to have over filtration since filters will slow down and lose flow and turn over your tank less than it needs to be and could cause issues. My 125 I have 2 canisters rated for 100 gal tank each and my 72 I have 1rated at 50 and one rated for 75

Aquaclear or Tetra Whisper are both great. I like aquaclear better because of all the different stuff you can put in it.

Back
Top Bottom