noisy filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stale Cupcakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I just recently got a fluval 50 filter. I was happy until I notice it was making a faint grinding sound that is all I hear while I sleep. I checked the impeller and everything was normal. I don't remember where, but I read that after a few weeks the sound goes away. Is this true? :ermm:

Sometimes they settle but I've had more luck taking the impeller out and giving it a good clean / re-seating it.

Thanks

I took out the impeller, cleaned it, and put vaseline on it and now it's really silent.

Hi I am going through the same issue right now. Aquaclear70 that 3 months old. I gave the filter a good cleaning last night, either than filter media cleanings, this is the 1st one it's had. I even took out the impeller for the 1st time, and took a paper towel and wiped off the crud from the magnet and its fins, and gave a shot of water in the impeller cavity in the motor. I put it all back together and when I woke up thus am, I found the whole unit loud, to the point it was a PITA. It is fine if I remove its cover so it's rattling I'm hearing. Did the Vaseline trick, ensured it was levelled properly, and I even slid the whole unit down towards the corner of the tank. It's better but not the same. What caused this? I should have left well enough alone as it wasn't a critical clean. I don't care if I buy another 70 or maybe just the motor replacement may be the way to go.taking it back will be a tough fight, as I do have the receipt but how do I present my argument.
Thanks for any comments.

It does seem you've tried every trick in the book. I would try vaseline just one more time because from my experience it can still rattle if there isn't enough or its not applied correctly. If that doesn't fix it I have read of some people contacting hagen, the company that makes the filter, and explain their issue. From what I've heard Hagen says you should only hear water flow so they offer to fix your impeller or send a new one. That's what I found out from threads I've read trying to fix my problem. Hope all goes well:fish1:

Did you remove the impeller shaft from the magnet? I needed pliers to pull mine out. I was having some noise issues as well, and I used a thin coat of vaseline on the shaft before putting it back in (I also put it back opposite end in, which may have contributed to it being quiet again). Cleaning the 'impeller well' in the motor with a cotton swab could help, too.

If you notice that the shaft or the magnet seems to have grooves ground into it, that could be the problem; it can throw the unit out of balance. Both parts are pretty cheap to replace.

Thanks boys...I did pull the shaft off, but I will try taking a qtip and clean the well, I only rinsed water through it last time. Also good to know Hagen has a position on this as well. I'll take a video and send it to them if it gets to that point.
Thanks again

I have learned that AC' s when new tend to be noisy until all the moving parts gunk up. Then there are the lid issues. The lids have to be firmly attached with the back lip overlapping the back wall of the filter. The intake tube needs to be securly seated and the water flow control lever needs to be pushed completely to the full flow position otherwise it will vibrate. All of my AC's run quietly now and are my favorite power filters.

There might be a defect with the impeller shaft that is affecting the rotation of the impeller (wobble) or cause the magnet to hit the sides.
I have an AC50 and it is dead silent. Bought a new one and it was unbearably noisy. Tried all of the tricks mentioned above with no luck. And then I swapped the impellers (old filter and new filter). The result:
2 pretty quiet filters

Well I relubed the entire shaft, put the other levelling wheel on the unit and used a different setting, and I took the lid and offset it just a bit at the back, and things are now wok. Seems like the noise, though vibration based, was basically because of rattling of the lid. I'm ok with the end result.
Thanks everybody.

Back
Top Bottom