Noisy overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a corner overflow in the saltwater tank I am setting up. I finally got the plumbing and all worked out. The return pump is a little noisier than I would have liked so I am sure a new one is in the not-too-distant future. :whistle:

The biggest issue is the noise from the overflow. My tank is 33 inches tall, so the water falls a long way. There is only 1 drain pipe and it has a 1 inch PVC pipe standing on the outflow with slits cut every inch or so. There is a round sponge on the pipe that sits at the bottom (Not sure what that is for).

What can I do to reduce the splashing noise so the wife won't fuss?

You sent me a question about bubbles in your sump so I will answer here. When having a durso pipe, air is going to be in the water and eventually into the sump. are the bubbles going back into your DT? What is exactly making noise?

You sent me a question about bubbles in your sump so I will answer here. When having a durso pipe, air is going to be in the water and eventually into the sump. are the bubbles going back into your DT? What is exactly making noise?

It's a large bubble every 2-3 seconds making a blurping noise. It seems that the water flow is pushing large bubbles from the flex pipe into the sump. The standpipe isnt making any sucking noises, just bubbles going into the sump.

did you put a hole in the pipe? The pipe need a place to get air

Also, the stand pipe only should be about an inch or two below the water in the outlet into the sump. Otherwise, it will cycle, fill up, burp, fill up again, burp, etc.

Also, the stand pipe only should be about an inch or two below the water in the outlet into the sump. Otherwise, it will cycle, fill up, burp, fill up again, burp, etc.

This is excatly what happens! You should be like a moderator or something! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here is what I have...

Wow thank you so much for that picture! First off fantastic setup! Second off, drill a small hole into the top of the that pipe cap. Then increase that size until the blurping stops. Hope this helps!

Jim,
I am talking about the other end of the pipe - where it drains into the sump. It should only be 1-2" max below the surface of the water level in the sump. Otherwise it builds pressure and burps every few seconds, as you described.

The other fix is to restrict your return pump if you can afford to lower the circulation. Lowering the amount of water returning (and thus draining) will allow a deeper stand pipe to remain caught up with the cycle, and it won't burp as much. Shortening the pipe would be the best option though.

Wow thank you so much for that picture! First off fantastic setup! Second off, drill a small hole into the top of the that pipe cap. Then increase that size until the blurping stops. Hope this helps!

Yes, this too! There needs to be a vent in the top of that pipe cap. This will probably fix the issue :)

Right now it's a little over 2 inches from the top of the water. I did as you suggested and diverted some of the water flow through another valve back into the sump, decreasing the flow into the DT. Sure enough, the bubble noises stopped. I'm sure I will be able to tweak it a little to get the most flow without the bubbles.

There are 2 small 1/16 inch holes already drilled in the cap. You cant see them very well, but they are there.

You guys ROCK! (y)

Thanks!

It may help. It won't hurt anything to enlarge them a bit. The hole in the top of my stand pipe is definitely larger than 1/16.

It may help. It won't hurt anything to enlarge them a bit. The hole in the top of my stand pipe is definitely larger than 1/16.

I don't a durso, but I do have a standpipe with a pre-filter. I put a hose in it with some sponge on in the top of it. I increased the flow of my pump and all of the noise and blurping stopped.

I made the holes 1/8 inch. I was able to return full flow from the pump without any bubble noises and the water level is still where it was before. Thanks fort and xtra for your help!

Back
Top Bottom