Noisy Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's the best way to quiet down my overflow? There's a hole at the top of the pipe and o used to use a piece of hard tubing but it started fluctuating the water level up and down, like it was slow to drain than would drain all of a sudden. So I had to remove it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have a ball valve between the overflow and sump?

what part of the over flow are you referring
the overflow up top into over flow box can be remedied with a 16oz soda bottle cut bottle in half using top half cut a notch so it fits over over flow tub the cap serves as a air valve it may need to be loosened a little but the noise will still be gone
submersing it over the down spout of the overflow this will stop the gurgling

now for the outlet of over flow down at the sump this is the simplest remedy I know but it works wonders , this also takes the place of the filter sock all you need is a pond style pre filter you may need to use a plastic zip tie to attach , this will not only muffle the sound of running water splashing it will also filter out any crud ,

the pre filter will need to be rinsed once a week, all together this is a $4. fix and works wonders

I marked the cut out on bottle since the camera didn't pick it up as bottle was clear
you may also need to trim a small section of the pre filter off the top about 1 inch to plug the bottom of the pre filter , slip pre filter over down tub and zip tie it on

this should help solve the noise issue and its not a eye sore either

img_3074270_0_cfe828d7d937cbce1ff14a584f276fb8.jpg

No ball valve

Talking about the top section. Will try the soda bottle and maybe the pre filter as well.

I used to walk into room all I heard was water running
that simple fix made such a difference I sometimes forget the tanks are in the room
best $4. dollars I ever spent (y)

Sounds like you have a durso overflow. If there is NOT enough air getting in the tube, a syphon will start, quickly draining water and lowering the tank level in a noisy manner. Once the level drops a bit the syphon is broken and the water level climbs back up. The air hole prevents the syphon but it's still noisy. By inserting the airline into the hole and varying how far in it goes you can make it quieter.

That's why I like the Herbie overflow. It's easier to adjust and almost silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's it. It's a durso. Learned something new.

I had the tube in but still had the sound. I'll play with it some more.

I think that did it. I don't know why it just started making so much noise all of a sudden.

Probably algae on the airline or something else blocking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom