NOISY overhange wet/dry filter. How to reduce noise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you meaning the overflow box that drains into the wet/dry?

If so, you need to build a stockman or durso standpipe. Do a search on google and you'll find plans. Bassically, they will reduce the gurgling sounds by restricting the air intake. Height of the standpipe and air intake diameter will need to be adjusted for your setup.

Thanks for the info. Now I can place the stockman standpipe over my existing pipe in the overhang correct? I have seen alot of different models alot for bigger tanks. I think it should be fine for a 55gal. Thanks

They're not hard to make. But a dremel rotary tool goes a long way. they're are several different designs out there, some easier than others. I used a 1" pvc pipe with a dremeled down 2" to 1" reducer to act as the support (dremmeled to allow maximum water flow) for the 2" coupling. The other end (top end) of the coupling has another 2" to 1" reducer which then allows a 1" plug to slip into it. The plug was then drilled with a few small holes for air intake.

Back
Top Bottom