Noisy Whisper 30-60

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got a Whisper 30-60 for my gallon tank. It doesn't exactly resemble any whisper I'm familiar with. It's significantly louder than the Top Fin 20 I have, which is virtually silent.

Is there a problem with my Whisper 30-60, or are they known to be noisy?

If they tend to be noisy, what are some good, quiet alternatives?

My Whisper 10 is absolutely silent. I wouldn't be able to tell it was running unless I looked at it. I assume you are talking about a filter....right? My Whisper 10 air pump on the other hand is VERY noisy. Good thing I don't need it. I don't know of any better, more quiet options for an air pump.

If it is that noisy there might be something wrong. Did you try moving the siphon tube up and down to slightly different positions as it states in the manual. It shouldn't be any louder than the top fin, they are basically the same filter made by the same company in a different package. I have that model but I have the top fin equivalent (same filter though) and it is not noticably noisy.

I have that exact model, it makes no noise, unless there is air in it (not that common and doesnt last) Or the tube isn't completely inserted...

Check the tube, check the flow control is set to max, look for air getting it by the flow control, if none of that helps, then perhaps try getting it replaced.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Check the tube, check the flow control is set to max, look for air getting it by the flow control, if none of that helps, then perhaps try getting it replaced.

I checked the tube and all that. I don't think it's making the noise they make when air is trapped. It sounds more like a vibration problem.

By any chance does this model need a period of time to "break in"? (I'm not sure what would be breaking in, however.)

Thanks.

no, there is no break in period..

if it's up against a wall it will vibrate.. Other then that, there should be no noise. I'ld get it replaced..

As a point of comparison, for those of you familiar with the big Aqua Tech filters at Wal-Mart (30-60, I think), would you say they are louder or quieter than the Whisper filter I have?

Two of my friends both have 2 Aqua Techs, and they seem quiter than even the replacement filter I got today.

Thanks.

If I were you I would spend a little extra cash and get an Aquaclear instead. I use 2 Aquaclears and they are silent. Plus, they are cool because they use a big sponge for mechanical filtration instead of a cartridge (I never replace my sponges, just rinse them in old tankwater 1x/month during PWCs), and they come with a bag of ceramic rings (Biomax) for your bacteria to grow on (biological filtration). Then you can add carbon if you want, or filter floss, or whatever. I have never owned a Whisper, but I've read some really bad reviews of them so personally I wouldn't waste my time with one. BTW you can get Aquaclears (and other filters) really cheap from www.bigalsonline.com :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom