Non python water change containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a regular old water hose attached to one of those lee's/python faucet adapters. That way I have 200ft of hose to work with. Some people are weird about using regular garden hoses (idk, i drank out of them all throughout childhood, so I guess me and the fish are going down together lol), if that's the case you could also get one of those white drinking water hoses instead.

I use an everyday mop bucket with a lip to pour water in the tank :shrugs:
Like 3 gallons, it takes some time but anything bigger would be all over the place. I just take my time and do it slowly

I was ok with using 5 gal buckets until I moved beyond a 50gal tank. I moved up to a 150gal, and the amount of buckets I would have had to carry was way too many.

I use a sump pump in a 5 gal bucket. When I'm emptying out the dirty water, I vacuum into the bucket with the pump outlet going either to the sink or out the window to my garden. I just keep vacuuming while the sump keeps the bucket draining. Then when I'm ready to refill, I put the bucket in the sink with the right temp of water filling it, all the while the sump hose is filling into my tank. Hands free tank filling while I can make a cocktail and enjoy my clean tank! :)

I know you mentioned saving money and wanted alternatives to buying a Python. Python brand water changers are expensive as you noticed.

You can get the Aqueon water changer for about $24. Does the same job the python does. No buckets, no mess.

Just wanted to make sure you knew about that Aqueon option before you bought a bunch of 5 gallon pails and siphon hose and ended up paying nearly the same.

When I had my 20 gallon in my bedroom, it was on a bookshelf. The very top of the current 10 gallon that is there is at about my eye level. It's in the basement, and I have to take water up and down the stairs. I did it with 5 gallon buckets. I did occasionally spill when I wasn't careful. I had to lift the bucket up on my shoulder to put it in. It seemed to be better if I could get up higher to do it. Now that I moved the 20, I'm thinking I could actually put the new water bucket up on the steps, and run the siphon the other way to put the water back in. I have one of those siphons with the bulb to get it started.

I do know about the Aqueon, but per reading here the python seemed better. My two 4.5 gallon buckets were $4 each. I already have 5 gallon buckets to take water out, and will use the smaller ones 2/3 full to refill the tank. $8 is less than $24 and the look I will get from my hubby, if you know what I mean. I may want to get one more small bucket when I set up the 20, but for 5 gallon water changes I can use two.

Back
Top Bottom