non-submersed/dry pump or powerhead recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrier

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently, I buy pre-mixed salt water from the local store in 5 gallon jugs. I use an old powerhead to pull the old water out of my sump. Due to the configuration of my sump and stand, I can't pour the replacement water directly into the sump (without making a huge mess). And due to the size of the mouth of the jug, I can't find a small powerhead that could fit in and help expedite the water transfer. Basically I have to pour it again and again into a smaller (more manageable) container, or elevate the jug and use the siphon/gravity method. But this takes forever.

So... I am looking for a small pump or powerhead that I can suck the new water out of the jug and transfer it into my sump. I would like one that will run when dry.... i.e., I would attach tubing to either end to pull out the water and pass it to my sump.

I am hoping to get something that is relatively cheap ($20-$40) but has a decent enough flow to make the water changes easier and quicker.

MarineDepot and other places advertise some powerheads and pumps that might work, saying they are OK for "dry applications" or "non-submersed applications." Is there a difference?

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

Almost any pump in the aquarium trade will require priming before it will pull water out of a container like you describe. A small MAG pump will do the task you need but for it to work you will need to first prime the tubing and pump. This can be done by attaching all the tubing and then putting suction on the tube connected to the pumps output. Once the supply tube up to the pump is full of water you can power on the pump to pump the water out of the jug into your tank.

What you really want is a non submersed pump vs a pump that will not damage itself if it runs dry for a short period. When a pump runs dry it means there is no water circulating in its impeller chamber where as a non submersed pump means it does not have to be submersed in water to operate.

Back
Top Bottom