Normal Sump Noise Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Muscle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up my first ever sump and I was wondering what the normal noise level is for a sump. The sump is an Aqueon Proflex 4 sump and is located in the basement. It's plumbed with 1.5" PVC that splits to two 1" connections since that's what the sump is equipped for.

Here's a video of the sump and how much noise it's making. The sump lid isn't on in this video so it will be a bit quieter with than on. Is this a normal amount of noise? Or should it be quieter?

Thanks,
Harry

I’m having trouble figuring out where the noise of coming from. From within the twin pipes or in the filter socks (assuming those are filter socks)?

I’m having trouble figuring out where the noise of coming from. From within the twin pipes or in the filter socks (assuming those are filter socks)?
There's the background hum of the Mag 12 pump. But the water noise I think is coming from either the pipes or the air bubbles. As far as I can tell it's not coming from the filter sock area.

Thanks,
Harry

as for the water noise mine sounds identical , as for the hum sound sounds like the pump vibrating on the base of the sump , I had a similar hum with my pump I put a 2 inch thick sponge under the pump and it stopped

Last edited:
Yeah my sumps water noise is about the same too. I can’t really hear the hum but sounds similar to my mag after I clean it

Is there supposed to be that much air traveling through the pipes? I understand there is quite a bit of water passing through at high rate. The whooshing sound reminds me of a water slide at an amusement park. I don’t know if a length of airline tubing running the length of the pipes would help or not.

Back
Top Bottom