Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now questioning this Marineland Stealth Pro heater...

Okay, so I got the Marineland Stealth Pro heater for my 2.5g shrimp tank, it's 10w and good for up to a 3g tank. Put it in yesterday late afternoon, this morning the tank was 88F, the heater had a preset of 78F.

What's going on? Are these just junk? Have y'all had any luck with them?
I know there was a recall, but in the recall this heater wasn't on the list so I didn't worry about it.

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There was a recall on a marineland heater series and I think it might be this one. Check their website or give them a call and see. But if it's malfunctioning already i would bring it back for a new one.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

this should help: Aquarium Heaters Recalled by United Pet Group Due to Fire and Laceration Hazards
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

good one lyndaB!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even if it's not on the list of recalls, which I don't see anything with that low wattage, it's possible you a) got a dud or b) the ambient temp in the room the tank is in is hotter than the tank itself.

What are you using as a thermometer?

Personally, I would never trust a preset temp heater. I want to be able to control the temp.

What's the model # of your heater?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 11-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB

Even if it's not on the list of recalls, which I don't see anything with that low wattage, it's possible you a) got a dud or b) the ambient temp in the room the tank is in is hotter than the tank itself.

What are you using as a thermometer?

Personally, I would never trust a preset temp heater. I want to be able to control the temp.

What's the model # of your heater?
Haha my room definitely isn't 88, and I'm at school so I can't check model number and stuff now.

And I didn't love the idea of preset, but there isn't an adjustable at my lfs for a tank that small..
Old 11-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This is the same site I checked before getting it.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00 View Post
Haha my room definitely isn't 88, and I'm at school so I can't check model number and stuff now.
If you're at school, why aren't you paying attention to the teacher instead of typing posts on this site......
Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

If you're at school, why aren't you paying attention to the teacher instead of typing posts on this site......
Haha, it's band:P no biggie

And p.s. I did unplug the heater before I left when I saw it was 88!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Band is still a class. Step away from the cellphone.....

Tags
eat, eater, heater, marineland, stealth, stealth pro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com