Oak stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurence

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning on buying a 200 gallon acryic aquarium with an accompanying heavy oak stand. Anyone have experience with oak stands? How long to they last? Any problems with rot? Have any ever collapsed under the considerable weight of an aquarium? Have you had yours for more than ten years?

oak=forever if its real oak

most regular stands are made with plywood and not much else.

Oak will not rot unless submerged, its a very hard dense wood and some of the best wood to use for structural integrity.

Any exposed edges should be solid oak - but shelves and sides will be ok with oak plywood - I just finished building one and looks great. Oak plywood is plenty strong enough to hold a large tank - mine is 36 gallons and it ainta going nowhere!

I use 6"x6"x12" blocks of oak as jackstands with complete confidence. Your tank is probably a little more than half the weight of my car.

oak is strong!!! if your really worried get treated lumber ! also i would use at least 4x4 for that kinda weight

only use treated for the stand.

If you check out my 210g build thread you will see a plain 2x4 stand that is capable of 3k pounds, all the weight rests on the 2x4's

You dont need 4x4's to build a structurally secure stand.
My stand was built in a matter of 2 hours. I also have it filled and running for the first time today, and there are ZERO creaks and ZERO movement of the stand.

only use treated for the stand.

If you check out my 210g build thread you will see a plain 2x4 stand that is capable of 3k pounds, all the weight rests on the 2x4's

You dont need 4x4's to build a structurally secure stand.
My stand was built in a matter of 2 hours. I also have it filled and running for the first time today, and there are ZERO creaks and ZERO movement of the stand.
link ?

click on my user name, then profile, then statistics then threads started by.

You don't need treated lumber for a stand. Dimensional lumber is more than strong enough (spruce pine fir 2 x 4 etc.)) Oak is much stronger than softwoods and very resistant to rot, hence it's use in boat building. Do use waterproof glue.

If you build it right, the wood will support all the weight no need for any glue, just 3" wood screws. Oak is a hardwood, the most sturdy furniture in the world is made of oak, as well as the best wood constructed watercraft.

If you build it right, the wood will support all the weight no need for any glue, just 3" wood screws.

I thought when building things out of wood, the glue was the "device" that actually held the wood together, and the fasteners (I.E. screws, nails) were there simply to allow the glue to dry without the boards moving?

A real furniture maker will tell you that glue (and proper joinery) is the ONLY way to build something to last.Nails, screws, etc. will eventually loosen, although not for years, perhaps.

Oak is prob the strongest hardwood commonly available. Solid oak furniture lasts generations. (We have a 50+ year old school chair that was abused in an elementary school for years & still going strong.)

For an aquarium stand, it really is the design & construction that is important. Wood species doesn't matter all that much, even pine & other softwood will work. But do avoid any particle board construction. That is sure to disintegrate over time. <Note that "oak" stand in a lfs may well be particle board covered with veneer ... sometime not even that .. just plastic coated particle board printed to look like oak.>

I thought when building things out of wood, the glue was the "device" that actually held the wood together, and the fasteners (I.E. screws, nails) were there simply to allow the glue to dry without the boards moving?

not really, I dont use adhesives unless its nessecary, clamps will keep it from moving while you fasten it together. it does offer extra insurance but it doesnt require it. screws loosen with movement, no movement no loosen.

I am going to be building an oak stand also. I plan on using some solid oak for my faceframe, and 3/4" oak plywood for the sides and back. I dont see how this couldnt be strong enough. I think the 2X4 are overkill IMHO. I might start a new thread just to have people post pictures of their oak stands so I can get an idea how I want to build mine.

not really, I dont use adhesives unless its nessecary, clamps will keep it from moving while you fasten it together. it does offer extra insurance but it doesnt require it. screws loosen with movement, no movement no loosen.

It is not true that with no movement there is no loosening.Wood changes with season and humidity. Good example is the loosening of drywall screws. Screws use clamping pressure to hold a joint together. The use of glue will make for a more rigid structure.

I used kiln dried 2x4 to build my stands. If properly constructed the screws will hold, as they have for the last 20+ years. I do use a drill and counter sink so the deck screw head is flush. I agree with WhiteDevil "screws loosen with movement, no movement no loosen." Also I use 3/4" plywood for the top and the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom