Oase Biomaster 350 and seed material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Driftwoods

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So essentially I am currently mid cycle with ammonia on a 125 litre with an Oase Biomaster 350 canister.

To seed the tank my local pet shop gave me some of their filter material (not sure what it's called but but it looks like a bit like a white nut or white round with hole in the middle).

The issue is that this filter material seems to have had fish skin attached to it as when I have turned the filter off for a second the fish skin has come into the tank in little clouds. When the filter is left on through it didn't cause a problem as it stays in the filter.

I'm worried about 2 things- one is that the fish skin may clog up the filter. I could give it a clean in tank water but I'm concerned about ruining my cycle.

Secondly I'm concerned that the fish skin will cause an issue to my fish when they are put in?

Hi, it sounds look normal filter detritus - depends how much you trust the fish shop. Just seems a lot to be all fish skin. I wouldn't worry about it clogging the filter unless very bad. Bacteria will eventually break it down as the tank settles in.

If you have a gravel vac you could use that around the filter when off to clean up some muck. I think I'd do that over a filter clean but see what others think.

Hey Delapool :)

I think that I may have sorted it. As my filter has a pre- filter I took those sponges out and gave them a wash in tank water. All seems to be ok now :) I had a peek at the main filter sponges while i was in the and they all looked spotless.

Fingers crossed we past that issue now... just got to wait for these pesky nitrites to go down now :)

Back
Top Bottom