Ocean Clear Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shogsten

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm converting my 150 gallon tank to a planted tank and I want to do some other updates at the same time. Right now I have two aquaclear HOB filters that are doing an ok job with the tank but I want to switch back to a canister filter since I am not going to need biological filtration. I've used canisters before but my one major dislike is that when the pump dies you don't really have any choice but to replace the entire canister. This led me to the Ocean Clear filters what I would like to do is to get one of the mechanical filters add a pump and a heater module and tuck all this away under the tank. Is any one else using a similar setup ? Any thoughts on this idea ? How hard is it to clean the OC filters, can they be back flushed ? Is there a better alternative ?

Scott Hogsten

150 gallon
400 Watts
100% Flourite (soon)
C02 Injection (Phase II)
Java Moss
Horwort
Cabomba caroliniata

I've never used the Ocean Clears. However I am currently, slowly building a l-xl planted tank. I plan on useing an Ocean Clear filter. I think I'm going with the 380 mechanical with UV filtration.

If you add up the set up cost of a pump, filter, UV to set up an Ocean Clear VS say a couple of good canisters with the addition of a UV filter. The Ocean Clear comes out cheaper. Not to mention a better set up in my opinion.

Also, keep an eye out on ebay and aquabid for some really good prices on Ocean Clear :wink:

If you plumb the OC cannister right it can be back flushed without a problem. They are very easy to service also.

Man I love my OC canisters.
I run two together on my 180gal Oscar tank.
They can be back flushed as Rex said and a snap to clean.

Back
Top Bottom