Oceanic tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a chance to buy a 90 gallon oceanic tank with the oak looking trim on it for 125 bucks. Is this a good deal and I'm planning on making a dirted planted tank out of it. Are oceanic tanks only made for saltwater or are they freshwater too I know some have the drilled holes in them and as of right now I don't know if this one has holes or not.

a tank is a tank and water is water,if you feel it's a deal you should get it. something to keep in mind is if it's factory drilled with built in overflows (reef ready) they tend to be more expensive initially and tend to hold value better, if it is reef ready you can run a sump on fw (I do) or you can plumb canisters to the overflow to keep a clean look but if you plan on using hob's you would have to find a way to plug the drilled holes, if you go that way try not to make it too permanent as you always want to keep as many options available, good luck I hope this helps

Ok so another question I would have is what kind of light fixture would I need to have to sufficiently provide enough light for whatever plants I decide to put in it especially it being 24" tall

I have a coralife 2x54 t5ho over my 90 filtration is a Rena xp3 and a recently added hob (just for some more flow) this is my lower light low tech tank, plant growth is slow but steady

image-1103529519.jpg

best part of lower tech is lower maintenance

How much does that filter cost cause my main concerns are gonna be building my stand and finding a filter. My dad says he has a t8 single bulb fixture I can use till I get a 48" dual t5 plus I can just take the legs off my 30" dual t5 fixture and lay it up top as well. And I've got my aquaclear 70 from my 29g that I'll be able to transfer over as well not including all my plants and driftwood and I'll probably even use the gravel from my 29g to help cap some of the dirt in the 90g

the Rena filters are a bit pricey but worth it, the xp3 new goes for @ $180 but I've found them on craig's list for $40, but by far the easiest canister I've dealt with so far

My dad has a jbj canister filter he uses with a built in uv sterilizer on it he was saying I could get one for around 80 bucks do you know anything about those

never used one myself but I've hears mixed reviews some people love them some people say no good right out of the box, I do know there are plenty of folks on here are generally considered gurus of aquaria that like them. maybe search older threads for jbj or sunsun I believe it's the same manufacturer but not possitive, hopefully someone with more knowledge of the product will chime in

I've been looking on eBay and idk the brand but it's a 4 stage 9watt uv sterilizer canister for 96.00

manbeast said:
looks like it's worth a shot, for that price I'd

darn sausage fingers on a darn phone but to continue, for that price I'd give it a try. worst case scenario is you don't like it and resell on craig's list

Would it be possible to run maybe two HOB filters on the tank till I could afford to get a name brand canister filter? The tank comes with a glass top.

you can use whatever suits your tastes or needs, I used two emperor 400 hob with bio wheels on my 90 for years, only made the jump to canisters after being out of the hobby for @ 5 years because when I went to use the emperors they were shot(they were in someone elses care for that time" routine maintenance, what routine maintenance?") but the hobs worked just fine. I think we only got started on the subject of canisters because you weren't sure if the tank you were looking to get was drilled or not and I put it out there as a possible option if it were. by the way have you picked up that tank yet and if so is it drilled?

I haven't picked te tank up but I know it is not drilled I know I can figure something out with the filter but now I need to figure out what kind of light I need for my tank to grow whatever plants I want you know I already have several red plants in my 29g

there are a couple of threads on lightingon here. one recently started up is " home depot t5ho" and another i've been following is " cheap led solution" interesting reads discussing possible options

So the same guy that is selling me the 90g
img_1989955_0_0c565a00ca670623e731b326fd830ed2.jpg

Says he has a aqua life dual t5ho fixture hell sell me for 100 bucks and a magnum 350 canister filter hell sell me for 75 bucks. He said the canister was previously on a saltwater tank.... He also said he doesn't really care for canister filters cause HOB are just easier to deal with which I was kinda thinking of maybe just using two HOB I already have a aquaclear 70 and could either get another one of those or get a emperor filter for the other side. What do y'all think??

$100 for a used light sounds a little high to me as for the magnum 350 I've never been a fan of that design so I've never used one, maybe someone else can comment

I'm thinking about maybe just putting either two aquaclear 70 on the 90 or maybe a 70 and 110 or maybe a 70 and a big emperor or maybe a different brand what do y'all use

just aim for that 8-10 X capacity flow rate and you should be fine, it's all about what you can afford, prefer and what you and the fish will be happy with

Back
Top Bottom