Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oceanic tanks

Have a chance to buy a 90 gallon oceanic tank with the oak looking trim on it for 125 bucks. Is this a good deal and I'm planning on making a dirted planted tank out of it. Are oceanic tanks only made for saltwater or are they freshwater too I know some have the drilled holes in them and as of right now I don't know if this one has holes or not.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a tank is a tank and water is water,if you feel it's a deal you should get it. something to keep in mind is if it's factory drilled with built in overflows (reef ready) they tend to be more expensive initially and tend to hold value better, if it is reef ready you can run a sump on fw (I do) or you can plumb canisters to the overflow to keep a clean look but if you plan on using hob's you would have to find a way to plug the drilled holes, if you go that way try not to make it too permanent as you always want to keep as many options available, good luck I hope this helps

Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so another question I would have is what kind of light fixture would I need to have to sufficiently provide enough light for whatever plants I decide to put in it especially it being 24" tall
Old 06-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a coralife 2x54 t5ho over my 90 filtration is a Rena xp3 and a recently added hob (just for some more flow) this is my lower light low tech tank, plant growth is slow but steady

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1103529519.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	100923

best part of lower tech is lower maintenance
Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How much does that filter cost cause my main concerns are gonna be building my stand and finding a filter. My dad says he has a t8 single bulb fixture I can use till I get a 48" dual t5 plus I can just take the legs off my 30" dual t5 fixture and lay it up top as well. And I've got my aquaclear 70 from my 29g that I'll be able to transfer over as well not including all my plants and driftwood and I'll probably even use the gravel from my 29g to help cap some of the dirt in the 90g
Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the Rena filters are a bit pricey but worth it, the xp3 new goes for @ $180 but I've found them on craig's list for $40, but by far the easiest canister I've dealt with so far
Old 06-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My dad has a jbj canister filter he uses with a built in uv sterilizer on it he was saying I could get one for around 80 bucks do you know anything about those
Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

never used one myself but I've hears mixed reviews some people love them some people say no good right out of the box, I do know there are plenty of folks on here are generally considered gurus of aquaria that like them. maybe search older threads for jbj or sunsun I believe it's the same manufacturer but not possitive, hopefully someone with more knowledge of the product will chime in
Old 06-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been looking on eBay and idk the brand but it's a 4 stage 9watt uv sterilizer canister for 96.00
Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=251070012875
This one to be exact

Tags
oceanic, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com