Odessa 260W fixtures...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive got some Odessa fixtures, and have one where one of the 65W bulbs doesn't turn on. Came home from work, and it was off. One of the actinics. So I changed the bulb, still nothing. The bulb on the other end does turn on. So it's just 1 bulb that doesn't come on. Anyone familiar with these fixtures and know how to fix the problem? Is it the electronic ballast? If so, where would I get a replacement ballast? And how do you open the fixture to replace it?

same ballast

I believe both bulbs in one fixture operate off the same ballast. so if one bulb is working I bet the ballast is fine. I would actually try taking it apart and see if any of the wiring has become disconnected or the wire insulation has melted due to the heat. Unplug it first:)

i got one too and this happens every now and then. when i turn it off and then turn it back on both lights are on.

krap101 said:
i got one too and this happens every now and then. when i turn it off and then turn it back on both lights are on.

That used to happen, but now it's off permanently. I'm just wondering if it's the ballast, only allowing 1 bulb to work. Will open it up this weekend and check out the wiring. Is it just the screws in the end that come out, and the end slips off? Is that how you open it up?

Hey LWB...........did you ever find out what the problem was?

Haven't opened it up yet. It's on my 55G and only using 1 bank. Once I'm off the long hours at work, maybe I'll get time to take it apart. Will put the old lights back on the 55G while I work on it. Also, if it's the ballast, I can get one at Aquatrader. Their support sent me an email and said if I need one, they have them for sale.

Fairly new fixture, no corrosion present. All contacts shiny still. I still think it could be a loose connection to the ballast, or the ballast itself.

Is it possible that the bulb u replaced the first bulb with......was doa?

I've got the same fixture(I'm pretty sure) and I haven't taken out the ballast but I did crack it open to mess with the noisy fans.

There are four screws on the end caps, that's all you need to remove to get in to work on the fans anyway.

LWB........how was your experience with aquatraders?

And on a side note..........how deep is your tank?(I know your having good(growth)luck with this fixture)
I've been reading alot about CF and how it doesn't penitrate as deep as T5.
I'm wondering if this fixture is enuf to grow glosso in my 25" deep tank.

I bought everything on Ebay. Just found aquatraders had the balasts if I needed. Haven't ordered anything through them.

As for the bulb, not DOA. Works fine in another light fixture. I was moving bulbs around in the fixture.

I can't remember the exact specs of my tank, it's just the standard 75G, 48" tank. Hairgrass does pretty good.

i bought mine off of ebay too except i got the 24 or 30" with 130. mine started about a week after i got it so..

This was my 2nd one that did it. My first one and my 3rd (newest) one are fine. My first one I got before Christmas, and has been running every day since then. My last one I got about a month ago, and is just fine too. I'm leaning towards a loose connection. But we'll see when I get the time to look into it.

I have the same fixture and I had one bank of tubes die on me last week. Could be a ballast but I've also had trouble with the fans as well. This is the last Oddessea product for me. Cheap isn't cheap if you have to boy twice. JMO

Back
Top Bottom