Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 472
Odyssea

Hello! I was wondering if any of you have had experience using Odyssea products. They have pretty cheap filters and lighting, and I was wondering if it's any good. Thank you!
__________________

__________________
Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy
Platiesareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
They aren't as quality as other lights or filters, but for the price they are a good deal IMO. They get the job done for me, so I'm pleased.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post
They aren't as quality as other lights or filters, but for the price they are a good deal IMO. They get the job done for me, so I'm pleased.
I'm looking for filters and light fixtures for a 75 gallon tank I would like to set up. (As you already know). Would I be better off getting a different brand?
__________________
Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy
Platiesareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Depends on how much you want to spend, really. If you want a more quality product, you're probably going to have to pay quite a bit more.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cactuspixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platiesareawesome View Post
Hello! I was wondering if any of you have had experience using Odyssea products. They have pretty cheap filters and lighting, and I was wondering if it's any good. Thank you!
I have this odyssea filter- it is rated at 2600 l/hr. it has great flow rate, but maybe I'm too used to canisters with baskets (not find of my eheim for that reason). It's not the most convenient for changing media, but I'm considering filling the bottom half with bags of matrix.
It's supposed to be a similar design to the fx5. I wouldn't know.
What I can tell you is that every time I take off the lid (to clean, or more likely, rescue fry) I end up with a slight leak from one of the red shut off valves- always the intake. I fiddle with it and eventually it stops, but I don't know why it does that or what it is I'm doing that fixes it.
It came with no information whatsoever

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2033845541.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	189887
__________________
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspixie View Post
I have this odyssea filter- it is rated at 2600 l/hr. it has great flow rate, but maybe I'm too used to canisters with baskets (not find of my eheim for that reason). It's not the most convenient for changing media, but I'm considering filling the bottom half with bags of matrix.
It's supposed to be a similar design to the fx5. I wouldn't know.
What I can tell you is that every time I take off the lid (to clean, or more likely, rescue fry) I end up with a slight leak from one of the red shut off valves- always the intake. I fiddle with it and eventually it stops, but I don't know why it does that or what it is I'm doing that fixes it.
It came with no information whatsoever

Attachment 189887
Would you recommend it?
__________________
Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy
Platiesareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cactuspixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platiesareawesome View Post

Would you recommend it?
I'd have to say no based on my experience. If there was a manual or products support my opinion might be different, but as it is, I would recommend these instead:
http://bit.ly/WvOlu9

They come in a range of sizes, with and w/o UV, and are sold under a bunch of 'brand' names (pro aqua, sunsun etc)

Dead easy to use and clean, and absolutely silent .
__________________
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ezy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco's Barbary Coast
Posts: 2,545
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
No warranty! I bought a light from them and it failed after 5 months.
__________________
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
I have had wveral of the light fixtures and havent had any issues with them. I like their price and the timers that they have. For the money, in my book you cant beat them. But thats just from my experience with them.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 216
I've had the CFS500 canister filter for 2.5 years and a 36" T5 light for 3 years. I 've never had an issue with them, but after owning them I'd rather pay a little bit more for a better product.
__________________

__________________
jefferzbooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.