Odyssea CFS 700

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patterson333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm considering swapping out my AC 110 and Aqueon 55 HOB filters for one large, powerful, canister filter in my 55G African Cichlid tank.

There's an ad on Craigslist for the Odyssea CFS 700, a canister filter that supposedly has a flow rate of 700 gph (though I very highly doubt that), and a built in 9W UV sterilizer. I've been able to find some reviews of the Odyssea CFS 500 over on the plantedtank.net forums, and most of the reviews were rather positive, but as of yet, I haven't been able to find anything on the CFS 700 (and also those positive reviews were back in 2009).

Does anyone have any experience with these filters? Either the CFS 500 or the CFS 700? The asking price on both craigslist and ebay is $90, and I'd imagine I could talk the guy on craigslist down some.

Oh and I know it's probably way overkill for a 55G, but I like to overdo things when it comes to filtration. :)

Odyssea cfs 700

Hi I'm looking for the same review and doing the same thing as in swapping my two broken fluvals for one powerful canister for my 75 g mbuna tank. So did you buy the Odyssea? Can you tell me how you like it if so..thanks!

Well, I upgraded to a bigger tank (a 120), and I'm running two Fluval FX5's on it. They work wonders, but they're pricey.

That said, I'm still really curious as to how well the Odyssea one works. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

My friends bougt two of them for their cichlid tanks and are now replacing them. Apparently the seals on the top leak. It's also not the prettiest filter around LOL, I helped her set one up and it was more hassle than when i setup my fluvals. She also had to keep towels wrapped aroundit cause it leaked from the get go. She is now considering adding aquaclears to her 75g instead.

The FX5 is only $209 now!!! Used to be 234$
Amazon.com: Fluval FX5 External Canister Filter: Pet Supplies

To be honest that is a steal of a price, I paid the 234$ a few months ago.

Hope that helped.

Patterson wow, that's quite an upgrade...congrats. Well I went ahead and ordered on ebay. The fx5 price is very good but short cash flow prompted me to take a chance. There just isn't anything with that flow rate for 90 bucks so we'll see how it does. I will replace the o-rings and lube all the seals right out of the box. Oh and I'm putting it in a wicker basket next to my tank and cutting holes in back...yeah it's ugly but then the fx5 won't fit in my stand either so it would have had the same camouflage. Maybe by the time it quits on me the fx5 will have dropped even more, ha! Anyway I'll post a follow up for all who are interested....thanks all!!

Yea keep us updated! Even though I probably won't be needing one for some time, I'd certainly be interested in hearing how it is.

Oh and thanks for the advice BillD, but I already upgraded tanks and filters lol.

Ok sorry....hard drive crashed and totally have a new pc since then. i had to remember where I posted this thread! So I installed the cfs700 and couldn't be happier so far. First off i had no probs with any fittings or O rings, maybe the manu. upgraded? Trick is put them on before installing onto the filter and you can hold the bottom and apply more force without stressing other parts, then continue. I figured after that I would never remove them really, just unclamp the hose fittings. Anyway i have had no leaks and no added makeshift parts. Just in case I put a plant saucer under it to check. Sure..it's cheap plastic just be careful. Great flow! I'm loving having just one filter in a crowded 75g mbuna tank. I don't even have a spray bar i just have the directional breaking surface just enough. One complaint is the UV bulb already is out....but I kinda figured it wasn't that efficient anyway. Plus my set-up in a wicker laundry basket beside the tank could do without the green glow inside. Short hoses...I just barely made it because it sits so high outside my tank. I have not cleaned or done any maintenance thus far. I do not see the reason for added bio filtering with all that sponge area...my tank is mature with porous rock background and my ammonia and nitrite testing confirmed. But so far it's quiet, strong, and my tank is very clear. Sooo...for a lazy and cheap cichlid hobbyist I highly recommend.

Sorry to revive an old, dead thread, but I had bought 2 of these filters about 2 weeks ago. One for my 55 gallon, and one for my dad's pond. So far absolutely no problems. The short hoses are a little annoying, but the filters work great so far, with a strong flow.

Back
Top Bottom