Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Odyssea Lights

Anyone using the Odyssea HO lights? If so are you having issues with the ballasts not lasting very long.
I have replaced 4 ballasts within 1 yr. of purchase, and just had another one fail this morning.
I have sent an email to the Odyssea Co. concerning this issue.
Hopefully they respond.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Let us know how it turns out. I have heard of some quality issues with their T5HO fixtures in the distant past, but nothing like this recently. Good luck!

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've had their 60" T5HO 4 bulb fixture over a freshwater tank for over a year with no issues so far.

Only issue I have is that their replacement bulbs (57.5" pin to pin) have been in backorder for over three months and I want to replace mine.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a pic of the suspected failed part. It is the partially ruptured part on the left. My plan is to replace the suspected failed part, with a good one from another failed ballast. If this cures the problem, the ballasts should be relatively inexpensive to repair. Anyone know what that part would be called?
Old 01-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

That would be a bad capacitor. A pretty cheap and easy fix, just takes a little soldering. If you are unsure just get on youtube and search for capacitor replacement, there are many many videos.

It's not a special part, a capacitor is a capacitor. You just have to get one with the same ratings which are labled on the faulty capacitor.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibis View Post
That would be a bad capacitor. A pretty cheap and easy fix, just takes a little soldering. If you are unsure just get on youtube and search for capacitor replacement, there are many many videos.
Thanks for the info. I think I can get one on line, or maybe an electronics store.
This seems to be the weak link in the Odyssea ballasts. I have been paying $25 a pop for them, and just got tired of it. I'm thinking I can fix the bad ones I have for a few bucks.
I like the lights, just need to upgrade their ballasts
Old 01-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Radio Shack has them. It's a pretty handy skill to learn, I've brought several tv's/computer monitors back to life by replacing faulty capacitors. Just make sure your soldering iron is around 30w or you may overheat and damage the board.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My fixture has been fine and far better than I expected. I just replaced the bulbs because the ones that come with it are pretty low quality.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibis View Post
Radio Shack has them. It's a pretty handy skill to learn, I've brought several tv's/computer monitors back to life by replacing faulty capacitors. Just make sure your soldering iron is around 30w or you may overheat and damage the board.
I haven't done much soldering, but I think I'm going to learn.
The capacitor I need to replace says 250 volt, 47 uh. Is there anything else that I need to look for on the capacitor?
I can replace the thing for about $5, and a little time, as opposed to $25 for a replacement ballast.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
My fixture has been fine and far better than I expected. I just replaced the bulbs because the ones that come with it are pretty low quality.
Yeah, the bulbs are pretty low grade. I am at about one year on the original bulbs, and due to replace them. Did you have any difficulty finding replacement bulbs that would fit. What did you replace them with? I'm thinking Giesman

Tags
light, lights, odyssea, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com