Odyssea Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foster53

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone using the Odyssea HO lights? If so are you having issues with the ballasts not lasting very long.
I have replaced 4 ballasts within 1 yr. of purchase, and just had another one fail this morning.:banghead:
I have sent an email to the Odyssea Co. concerning this issue.
Hopefully they respond.:rolleyes:

Let us know how it turns out. I have heard of some quality issues with their T5HO fixtures in the distant past, but nothing like this recently. Good luck!

I've had their 60" T5HO 4 bulb fixture over a freshwater tank for over a year with no issues so far.

Only issue I have is that their replacement bulbs (57.5" pin to pin) have been in backorder for over three months and I want to replace mine.

This is a pic of the suspected failed part. It is the partially ruptured part on the left. My plan is to replace the suspected failed part, with a good one from another failed ballast. If this cures the problem, the ballasts should be relatively inexpensive to repair. Anyone know what that part would be called?

That would be a bad capacitor. A pretty cheap and easy fix, just takes a little soldering. If you are unsure just get on youtube and search for capacitor replacement, there are many many videos.

It's not a special part, a capacitor is a capacitor. You just have to get one with the same ratings which are labled on the faulty capacitor.

That would be a bad capacitor. A pretty cheap and easy fix, just takes a little soldering. If you are unsure just get on youtube and search for capacitor replacement, there are many many videos.
Thanks for the info. I think I can get one on line, or maybe an electronics store.
This seems to be the weak link in the Odyssea ballasts. I have been paying $25 a pop for them, and just got tired of it. I'm thinking I can fix the bad ones I have for a few bucks.:)
I like the lights, just need to upgrade their ballasts(y)

Radio Shack has them. It's a pretty handy skill to learn, I've brought several tv's/computer monitors back to life by replacing faulty capacitors. Just make sure your soldering iron is around 30w or you may overheat and damage the board.

Radio Shack has them. It's a pretty handy skill to learn, I've brought several tv's/computer monitors back to life by replacing faulty capacitors. Just make sure your soldering iron is around 30w or you may overheat and damage the board.
I haven't done much soldering, but I think I'm going to learn.
The capacitor I need to replace says 250 volt, 47 uh. Is there anything else that I need to look for on the capacitor?
I can replace the thing for about $5, and a little time, as opposed to $25 for a replacement ballast.

My fixture has been fine and far better than I expected. I just replaced the bulbs because the ones that come with it are pretty low quality.
Yeah, the bulbs are pretty low grade. I am at about one year on the original bulbs, and due to replace them. Did you have any difficulty finding replacement bulbs that would fit. What did you replace them with? I'm thinking Giesman;)

I replaced them with coralife ho bulbs and I'm really impressed. Incredibly bright and pretty low price... But I've heard that Giessman bulbs are great too so whatever you try you will probably be happy. :)

All you need to know is the capacitance and the voltage. The capacitance will have a uF (microfarads) next to it, so like 470 uF or something like that. I would practice your soldering technique on some old electronics, pretty much anything with some sort of circuit board will have capacitors. Once you hone your technique, mark the negative side (the grey bar that runs down the length of the capacitor is negative) on the board, and install the new one the same way.

Search youtube if you haven't already, that's how I learned how to do it.

The component on the front right is a fuse. It may need replacing too. You can go higher on the voltage for the capacitors. Odyssey has no warranty as they are cheap knockoffs.

you are so right Odyssey has no warranty as they are cheap knockoffs save your self a headache:banghead: and buy better quality lights(y)

you are so right Odyssey has no warranty as they are cheap knockoffs save your self a headache:banghead: and buy better quality lights(y)

great lights I have had no issues at all and would buy them again and would tell my friends to buy them

I've used at least four of their fixtures and had zero issues with them. I really like them and if I need another t5 light I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.

I've had a 4 month old MH light fixture ballast burnout and a heater run wild and cook my 9 gallon nano. Both odyssey products. Your results may vary.

Last edited:
The only problem I've had with the Oddysea lights is the ballasts burning out. I have new capacitors ordered, and can fix the ballasts for about $4 dollars each.

Update on the Oddysea lights. 2 more ballasts went out, I suspect its the capacitors again. I have new capacitors here, and purchasing a soldering iron today. Once the capacitors are replaced, l'll see how long they last. Hoping its just cheap electronics used in original boards. I'm to the point that I want to put all these lights in the trash, and start over.:banghead: The old saying you get what you pay for is SO true in this instance:rolleyes:
I'll update again once the ballasts are repaired.

I have used several of their fixtures and bottom line they are junk. I still use them but they have been rebuilt so not so much "Odyessa' at this point. After reflectors, bulbs, ballasts, end caps, etc.. all being replaced and more importantly my time the cost of those fixtures not exactly a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom