Oil Backdrop method or Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksteady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well long story short I am getting back in fish tanks. Have only done the standard fish, gravel, fake plant setups in the past. Several years after getting rid of them due to a move I am starting up a new tank. 90 gal planted with co2 and such. Info from sites like this are driving me into this nicer tank setup and i can't wait to see the results.

Anyhow..... I have seen people speak of using a regular backdrop and using a cooking oil or olive oil to stick it to the tank. Can anyone point me to a thread with a step by step ?? Hoping to see pictures of final product and see how much oil they use and such. Just sounds way to easy and I am wondering if it really is just put some oil down and squeegee the air out. Also does this stand the test of time....

Or... my other choice is to paint it. Which may be my final route...

I use fabric, I used velcro to attatch it to the back of the tank. Its washable and easy to apply. Its not as much of a mess either. I tried the Veggie oil with the laminated background and it works great but is very time consuming. and the results can reverse if you have temperature fluctuations in your home (we all do). here are some befor and afters.

The first and second thumb are with oil but what happens when you dont get it perfect and the temps change. I guess the trick to the oil method is dont tape down the sides. Glass expands much slower than the laminated back ground so if you tape it down its causes bubbles =( didnt know that. The third is the black fabric. The fourth is after 1 week after CO2 and ferts with my DW in it.

Painting is good to lots of people on AA use it and love it. The only problem is once its on there you cant change your mind. With the fabric set up if i want to i can go with a differnt color or some crazy pattern (i am thinking Batman j/k).

HTH
Jason

Attachments

• IMG00099.jpg
    IMG00099.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 111
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 102
  • tanknodw.jpg
    tanknodw.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 88