Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok here is my 10 gallon sump idea. Dont know if its good?

I have a 46 gallon bow.

10 gallon tank(9.97)
Overflow box- wet/dry filter (92.00)
Oceanrunner 2500 return pump http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...7&pcatid=14677 (70.00)
1 baffle/return hose/lighting cost unknown.

My plan is to put 1 baffle in the center seperating a spot for a refugium to grow macroalgae. I read that the Oceanrunner return pump can be external?? so the pump would not take up space in the sump? Is this true.

I am planning to have the aquamedic turboflotor multi on the top of the main tank. the overflow will keep the main tank level to optimize skimmer performance. I will only have a heater inside the sump/fuge. then sand and chaeto or something with a clip on lamp above the fuge.

Pretty much an area for bioballs and macroalgae
Ok now someone tell me what is wrong with this idea. I am trying to work with an extremely small space of 11"wide and 17"long and on a tight budget.

fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
The only problem I can see with your idea is your return area is going to have very little water in it and when you experience evaporation your pump could easily run dry. I started out with a similar setup and I was constantly having to top off to keep my pump under water. Even if you use yours as an external you will have to make sure that it doesn't run dry.

Other then that there is nothing wrong with using a 10g in that way. Oh yeah, forget the bio-balls and go with LR rubble. Nature knows best!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

10 gallon, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com