Ok, What kind of lights do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am so confused, I have looked at lights until I am turning into a light :)

Right now I have a FOWLR tank with T12 VHO's and I want to get some corals and stuff but I need the lights first.

I am torn between getting T5HO and MH combo fixture, then some say just get a 6 bulb T5HO with ATI bulbs...

What do you guys suggest?

I'd vote for the 6 bulb fixture with the ATI bulbs.

I love the ATI's, have them in my one fixture and am going to be buying them for my 12 bulb fixture shortly.

The MH will give you a nice shimmer and some people prefer them. I hear they suck up alot of electricity versus a T5.

Just my opinion. :)

Carey,

Yeah my power bill is already ridiculous. lol
With a 5ft long 100g tank, will 6 bulbs be enough?
I am looking at either a Tek or ATI fixture I guess...

What are you going to put the 12 bulber on?

How deep is your tank is another important consideration. If its extra deep the MH might be your best bet for penetration. It also depends on what you want to keep in the long run, nems, high light corals etc...

I have a current extreme nova pro. It's over my 6 foot 125g tank.
I happen to like a super blue hue in my tanks and ATI has the bulbs that make me happy. If you like a purple hue I think KZ bulbs are the way to go in my opinion, a tad priceier tho

18'' Deep. I would love to have some nems and prob do mixed with the corals

Looking at this chart a MH with a similar wattage to T5 will be about $3 per month more 400W Metal Halide vs T5 HO Comparison
That being said if you will need a chiller that needs to be added into the cost. Bulb replacement as well should be figured into the cost.

Yeah, the possibility of a chiller also arises with MH. Not always from what I've read though so it's not a definite. But I do know they are way pricey.

With the depth of your tank I think the 6 bulb would be good. :) if it were me I would go that route. Youre looking at quality fixtures you will just need quality bulbs to get the most out of it.

Nice chart :-]

Think Im leanin tward the 6 bulb now.

Carey post me a pic of your tank! I would love to see the progress youve made!

I just posted a 1 min video on my thread. :) Don't wanna hog this thread up or I will get yelled at. lol

When you see the video you can gauge the lighting, I'm running current brand 10k bulbs and regular current actinics. You can see the yellowish hue it gives to the rock and water. I can take a picture of my 55g though, its running a quad t5 with the ati bulbs.

Nice video, Beautiful tank! Didnt know you could add more than one tang...

Is that the 12 bulb fixture?

yep. the one I mentioned above. the only thing bad about it is their are no moonlights and no built in timer. lol i got spoiled with my 55g lighting fixture.

Actually, it's the largest 72" T5 fixture I could find and I wanted to be able to keep most anything I wanted. it didn't hurt that I found it on CL for $300. LOL
i actually bought the light before the tank I believe. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

My tank isn't extra deep or wide so the 12 bulb seemed perfect. I was tempted to upgrade to MH's but I didn't see a good deal on those til just recently. I like the t5's cause they are nice and universal, if a bulb goes out most any lfs will have a replacement. MH bulbs I believe most stores around me don't carry and I'd have to get it online.

Holy smokes thats a deal!

Wish I could find something on CL...

So If Im going to invest in something I can use for several years should I look at the 12 bulb ones?

why does there have to be so many choices.. lol

If you keep an eye on neighboring towns you can always find something. I have my limit set at an hour one way to get stuff from CL.

I just realized you have a 60" tank. When i was researching my upgrade I found there weren't as many choices for a 5 ft'er as their was for 4 and 6 ft.

I'm gonna go take a peek and see what i come up with. Are you gonna hang them or use legs for mounting?

well, I have a canopy, so I can go either way. Although I would like to mount to canopy roof.

Ahh I see. Ok that means you can mount a retro kit type of lighting.

i was just looking at the TEK fixture, that one is gonna add up real fast. The bulbs aren't included, the acrylic shield is liek $50, the legs are extra too. Do you have the link for the other fixture you were looking at?

Yeah I currently have the T12 VHO retro fit kit in there. Isn't it better to just buy a fixture tho?

Back
Top Bottom