Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yowsa, Vircomore! A "moisture alarm"? That is the ticket! No, wait a minute. What if you're not home to hear it?

Somebody on one of the other fishy boards (where I am not a member) mentioned some kind of float thing that would literally turn the power off if the pail started to fill with water. My question to that is: when there's no power to a canister, won't it still leak simply because it is BELOW the level of the aquarium? Last time I checked, the law of gravity was still in effect.

Tractfast ... one of each? Isn't that just going to make me worry twice as much? *grin*

Me Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You are correct. If a canister filter fails at any point pre-motor (which is basically everywhere except the hose that takes water back up to the tank) - then the siphon effect will continue to empty the tank even without power.

There's only one sure-fire way to "mitigate" the amount of water that could potentially be lost: alter the filter intake tube with a "siphon-break" close to the water's surface. This can be as simple as drilling a hole in the hosing near where the water level is in your tank - so that if the filter starts spilling water for any reason - the amount of water on the floor will only be until the tank drains down to that hole - then the hole sucks in air and breaks the siphon.

The downside to this method is that you have to be aware of the hole when you're doing water changes - because if you drain your tank down and forget to turn off the filter - it will suck in air and could damage it.

"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge." -Confucius

Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
You could go with 2 HOBs. There's no reason to think that they would crack or leak for no reason.
trackfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yeah ... I think I'm leaning toward 2 HOB's. The idea of ANY amount of water on my brand spankin' new laminate floor creeps me right out. Laminate is lovely, unless it gets soaked. Then it's ruined.

When I was younger and had an aquarium, I always had HOB's. Never had a problem with water on the floor.

Yup. I think that's the way to go. The idea of the hole in the pipe is neat ... but you still have SOME water on the floor. No, wait. You wouldn't if you put the canister in a bucket ...

*sigh* Shoulda gone with lino! *grin*

Me Jane is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com