Okay need suggestions on lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottieandhelen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 29 gallon. Getting a nice tax check so I am going to a 40 gallon. I want to set up a reef with LPS and SPS along with fish. I have 2 35w power compacts currently but am looking into led. Should I use 6700 or 10000 K lights? I am turning my 29 gallon into a QT tank I will have a 10 gallon sump on the new 40 gallon (I would go bigger but I m almost out of the military and will have to move) Also has anyone seen the back drops inside tanks using spray foam and placing rocks into it, has anyone done this? Thanks in advance!!! Have a great day.

you would need something over 12000K for keeping coral. It needs the prope blue spectrum spike tobe able to provide proper growth.

So the blue atinics don't provide the blue spectum? Or are they only for display enhancement?

So the blue atinics don't provide the blue spectum? Or are they only for display enhancement?
Maybe I am confused, you were saying you are thking about switching to LED and also mentioned that you plan on using 6000K to 10000K fixture. Are you going to keep the PC actinic light?

The actinic is enough to keep the blue up but I am not sure it is enough.

Thank you fo your reply I was gonna run 50/50 lights until I get the LEDs which maybe a few months.

Well hopefully I will have all LEDs soon my question would be on the pc's for now

Well I don't have the money for LEDs so should I stay with pc or go to HO T5 10,000 ? 55 gallon tank setting up for corals and fish I would like to support both LPS and SPS.

I've had my t5 fixture for almost two years and it does great in shallow tanks, 18" deep max. Im building my own led fixture though and based on how much surface area you need to cover they are not priced to bad. No need for $20 bulbs you need to keep replacing. Im getting my LEDs from rapidled . Com. How many bulb fixture are you thinking about getting?

A good T5 HO fixture will light a tank 25" or deeper easily. Don't underestimate them. I do agree that LEDs and not replacing lamps, is the better option, but an individually reflected 6 lamp T5 fixture with high end lamps would work fine for this tank also.

I agree I was looking at fixtures today I checked out that LED site. If I had 455 bucks for the DIY I would. Mr X what's the best multi water test kit I can buy? I added a pulsating Xiena today and some striped mushrooms. What should I add as in nutrients and I just realized I forgot to dip them

Attachments

• image-2501643364.jpg
    image-2501643364.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2229025253.jpg
    image-2229025253.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 49
You don't need to add anything to the tank for nutrients. Everything your corals need is in your salt mix.

Back
Top Bottom