Old equipment for new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stovetop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Getting back into the cichlid world...I used to have a 25 gallon tank years ago which was very simple. Just received some lightly used equipment which amounts to a 65-gallon tank (with base), a Whisper Triad filter 2000, a Fluval 403 and a Fluval 104. The tubes are all pretty green inside (literally) - it hasnt' been used in over a decade. Tank is leak-free, cleaned out, and ready to go. My question is are these filters etc worth recovering (new tubing?) since they are all solid green (algae guessing) on the inside - scrubbing out etc? Or should I just pony up and get something else?

Thanks

Depend on your view! From my understanding most use a water and vinegar solution. Cleaning does help remove the chance of a pathogen infecting your new system. If the filters haven’t been out of water to long or in something to support their health for the time being, you could use them possibly to jump start a cycle. However, it is all up to you! Whatever you find to be more efficient!

"Bad stuff" can survive on the equipment even if it hasn't been used for a decade like in this case?

Back
Top Bottom