Old filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luggy978

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. I've just been given a 15g tank with lights and filter. I'm going to start getting it set up and was wondering if it is worth using the old sponge to help with the cycle. Would this be achievable or should I get a new one and start from scratch?

Thanks

One day at a time

Your Tank

Hi all. I've just been given a 15g tank with lights and filter. I'm going to start getting it set up and was wondering if it is worth using the old sponge to help with the cycle. Would this be achievable or should I get a new one and start from scratch?

Thanks

One day at a time

Hello Lugg...

If the sponge hasn't been kept in an established tank for a least a couple of weeks, it won't be any good. The good bacteria need food and oxygen to live. Without both, they don't live more than a few hours.

It would be best to start from the beginning and properly cycle this tank. You can cycle it with fish. This way you have activity in the tank right away. You can get 4 or 5 hardy fish like Platys or Danios and a floating plant like Hornwort. Set up the tank with gravel, light, heater, filter and a liquid water tester that tests for ammonia and nitrite.

If you want to go that route, then there's a procedure for cycling with fish. Just ask someone here.

B

The old sponge won't help with the cycle, but no reason you can't use it unless it's falling apart.
Word of advice - don't squeeze it while dry it could damage the walls.

Yeah how olds old? What was the last time the filter had water on it?

If you could get filter media or something from a working tank that would be best, thats what I do, screw cycling I just move stuff from my old tanks to the new one.

Thanks for the advice guys. Gonna use the sponge it's fine, and add some of my current sponge for a while to help with the cycle.

One day at a time

Back
Top Bottom