Old Heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
A friend of mine gave me two 200 watt heaters for use in my 55g planted tank. They were sitting dormant in his garage for 15 years or so and acquired a good bit of junk on them. I know you shouldn't skimp on heaters, but he assured me they were very good ones and should be perfectly safe.

I dabbed a rag in some vinegar and cleaned all the grime I could off them under some hot tap water. My tank has no fish yet and hasn't even begun cycling, but I just put the two heaters in to see how they fare. I can hear a small hum coming from both of them and a slight shimmer near them which I assume is the heat? The red light on one of them is on, while the others light isn't, though it definately appears thatl both of them are running. Lots of little bubbles are forming on both heaters. Do you think I'll be ok? ARe there any danger signs I should look out for? I'm worried about the one light not being on. I set the tempts at 75 to see how long it takes for them to heat the water up.

What brand and are they glass, plastic or metal?
Turn off the one that has the light on and see if the light comes on the other one.

I agree with roka64. Try one in the tank for 24 hours with a thermometer. Then the other. This way you will know if the will hold the temperature steady. I Imagine that they are too old to be submersible so the top must remain above the water. I have gone to the newer submersible ones that shut down if they are out of water. Stuf happens!

They are glass with the little metal coils on the inside. The brand is Visitherm 200. I'm not sure I trust them. I had them running all night at a temp in the low 70's, but my thermometer shows about 81 degree's this morning. I'll try unplugging one like you said. Still, I may end up just buying some new 150 watts. sigh.

Back
Top Bottom