Old used 29 gallon, stain removal help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umpa Lumpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I was given a used 29 gallon tank that leaks. I'm a pretty handy guy so I said why not, I'll give it a shot to resilicon it, and use it for a quaranten or maybe set it up as a second tank.

I've taken it completly apart and I'm going to paint the back pain of glass, but its got alot of hardwater stains on it that I can't get off. Its too big to soak in white vinegar, it just evaporates off. I've gotton a scotch bright pad and scrubbed a while (30 mins on a square inch area), thats not working. I've tried bartenders friend as a suggestion from a friend of mine but the stains are still there.

Any suggestions on what to use? I really don't care if it scratchs the glass, as I'm gonna sand it a bit so the paint will stick to it. Thanks

hot water and a razor blade.

I would be uncomfortable using any kind of chemical cleaner.

I would still use the vinegar, it does not have to be soaked in it, just put the vinegar on a plastic mess pot scrubber or on the glass itself or even in a squirt bottle. This method has yet to fail for me.

You can also wet paper towels with vinigar and lay them up against the glass. This method allows the vinigar to absorb into the deposits.

Back
Top Bottom