Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

???? on halide lights

i am wondering is there a difference in a, like parking lot halide light , like the ones you see on buildings shining on the parking lot? is there any way of going about getting a halide light without haveing to spend as much as my whole set up has cost me already?

Old 02-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The bulbs themselves are not that expensive. Less than $30 on average per bulb. The premade fixtures are costly as they include the ballst (somewhat expensive item), fans (can be expensive or can be cheap) and the metal enclosure (expensive for what it does). If you DIY your canopy you can usually get the same results for half the price.

Parking lot lights I will use since you mention them. The bulb itself will produce a speciturm that is very different than the MH bulbs for our usage. The MH bulbs sold in the aquaruim trade have very specific color spikes in their specitrum. I cant say as much for the high output lights on parking lot poles, etc.

I dont know what the average wattage is on the parking lot fixtures but with MH you must match the wattage of the ballast with the wattage of the bulb. I would guess most parking lot lights are higher wattage than 175W or 250W. I also suspect those fixutres would not be designed to say cool like the aquarium fixtures so using one over a tank itself could cause heat issues even if the ballast and bulb where compatable.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Parking lot lamps are high pressure sodium bulbs which as the previous post said doesn't put out the correct spectrum for aquarium usage. The light is very yellow.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

alright thanks i thought i mite have had somthing there for a min.

Tags
halide, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com