? on lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swjunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 coralife mini compacts 50/50 on my 10g says they are 50% 10k daylight. and 50% actinic 03 blue. says they are 10w=50w incandescent bulb. does that mean I only have 20w of light or 100w of light?
TIA

You only have 20 watts. Not sure how the conversion from incandescent goes, but you're running at 2 watts/gallon in terms of light requirements for inverts and stuff.

If I understood right you have 2 seperate bulbs? When it's time to change your bulbs next you might look at switching to 1 straight 10K bulb and 1 straight 03 actinic bulb. The 50/50 bulbs are ok, but they are more general purpose. What I mean is that you have one bulb trying to do 2 jobs, but not doing either job as good as it could. You get a "more true" light spectrum from using dedicated bulbs. At least that is my understanding of it. It will also give you the option of having only the actinic or only the 10K on, assuming that the fixture has seperate plugs for each bulb. Sorry, I'm not real familiar with fixtures that size.

Back
Top Bottom