Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I don't know much about lighting a reef tank that big, but from what you like here, I can offer bulb selections on the T5HOs:

Quote:
This is one lighting setup i became glued too, but it just needs more blue at cooling down period before shutting down>
========================================
4x250w MH.
Two Reefoptic 3 on Icecaps with 14K Phoenix.
Two Aquamedic pendants with 14k Phoenix.
8x54w T5 on Icecaps
4 total Blueplus
2 Aquable specials
2 6500
It went 2 Bluepluses in the front
Then the MHs
1x blue plus
1x6500
1x blue plus
1xAquablue
It drew about 1200 watts at the MH ballasts
And 800 or so watts for the T5s
So around 2000 watts total for 1600 watts of light.

You can skip the 6500K bulbs in the T5HOs and do 2 more Blue Plus if you want more blue or you could have some Super Actinics in place of the 6500K.

If you still want to ask the pump question, it would be better to make another thread with your question.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New main return pump(s) idea

New main return pump(s) idea, even that I not gotten any comment or suggestions on this topic, I will gibe it still a try.

A little update on my aquarium man who pick out what my MH reflectors would be in which all disagreed with it due to his lighting idea by having only three 250 watt MH, rather then four, that I figured on from day one of on the beginning planning of this SPS system. I sent him a email asking him a question, if he selected the reflectors he mention in his specs due to their the best he thought of for this tank, or is it was only due to that those reflectors were being discontinued, and the company placed the remaining few of that stock on a hugh sale to get rid of them. Following that line of questioning, James then agreed to do over a new lighting specs for the 240 gal tank. I told him that I had no wish to continue hammering around with it, that all or most agreed with his specs, providing I had far better reflectors then he selected for me. As is, the total cost is around $1500 for those specs, I only need to learn to just what K is totals too, as well total amps so that I split the connections, not to overload. even that each outlet handles 20 amps, the surge protectors I have only handles 12 amps. His idea was to try and keep the tank from over heating, even thou im too have a chiller and any number of cooling fans near around the tank.

Just one question his not commenting too as yet, if he could or not put in for me a closed loop system, for I told him that I remember when I first mention this too him, and his remark was, he didn`t know how he could do that. if I don't get me a closed loop put in, im then looking at a number of pumps for the required currents for this tank, I will not be bothering with maxi jet pump, I be only wasting time with those on this type of system.
I did however ask him on some other ideas for a return pump. His original idea was to use two pump, one around 850 gph and the other I think was less then 1100 gph. Im figuring that if he can not assist me by giving me a closed loop system, that I should have some better type of main return pumps. These are the links for the pumps i sent him in question for this project.

If we use two pumps for the two return lines, I selected these:

#27107 - Mag-Drive 9.5 *950 GPH* - $108.95
#27121 - Mag-Drive 12 *1200 GPH* - $137.95

Supreme Mag Drive 950 GPH Pump
Supreme Mag Drive 1200 GPH Pump

MD30RLXT 1" / 1" 960 gph 13.5
MD40RLXT 1" / 1" 1200 gph 15.4

At this link, I couldn`t copy exactly what I wanted to show him, but you can see for yourself here: And if just one pump, im thinking that were looking at a 2136 gph pump as the only return pump.
Iwaki America Aquarium Pumps

Here is another link:
Iwaki Pumps
http://www.pumpcatalog.com/newimages...oduct269-1.pdf

And another link: For i know that you will say that even 2100 gph may be too much flow rate, the largest in this models is at 2000 gph.
Iwaki Pumps - SaltySupply.com
Iwaki MD100RLT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 2000 GPH Price: $449.99 Price: $409.99

Or I use these two as two return pumps:
Iwaki MD40RLXT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 1200 GPH $299.99
Iwaki MD30RLXT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 960 GPH $229.99

On the above main pump return, it be due to the fact that drilling larger the bulkheads will not be so manageable.

What your thoughts on this?

Buddy

Old 10-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Is there a question in there somewhere?
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man of the sea View Post
New main return pump(s) idea, even that I not gotten any comment or suggestions on this topic, I will gibe it still a try.

A little update on my aquarium man who pick out what my MH reflectors would be in which all disagreed with it due to his lighting idea by having only three 250 watt MH, rather then four, that I figured on from day one of on the beginning planning of this SPS system. I sent him a email asking him a question, if he selected the reflectors he mention in his specs due to their the best he thought of for this tank, or is it was only due to that those reflectors were being discontinued, and the company placed the remaining few of that stock on a hugh sale to get rid of them. Following that line of questioning, James then agreed to do over a new lighting specs for the 240 gal tank. I told him that I had no wish to continue hammering around with it, that all or most agreed with his specs, providing I had far better reflectors then he selected for me. As is, the total cost is around $1500 for those specs, I only need to learn to just what K is totals too, as well total amps so that I split the connections, not to overload. even that each outlet handles 20 amps, the surge protectors I have only handles 12 amps. His idea was to try and keep the tank from over heating, even thou im too have a chiller and any number of cooling fans near around the tank.

Just one question his not commenting too as yet, if he could or not put in for me a closed loop system, for I told him that I remember when I first mention this too him, and his remark was, he didn`t know how he could do that. if I don't get me a closed loop put in, im then looking at a number of pumps for the required currents for this tank, I will not be bothering with maxi jet pump, I be only wasting time with those on this type of system.
I did however ask him on some other ideas for a return pump. His original idea was to use two pump, one around 850 gph and the other I think was less then 1100 gph. Im figuring that if he can not assist me by giving me a closed loop system, that I should have some better type of main return pumps. These are the links for the pumps i sent him in question for this project.

If we use two pumps for the two return lines, I selected these:

#27107 - Mag-Drive 9.5 *950 GPH* - $108.95
#27121 - Mag-Drive 12 *1200 GPH* - $137.95

Supreme Mag Drive 950 GPH Pump
Supreme Mag Drive 1200 GPH Pump

MD30RLXT 1" / 1" 960 gph 13.5
MD40RLXT 1" / 1" 1200 gph 15.4

At this link, I couldn`t copy exactly what I wanted to show him, but you can see for yourself here: And if just one pump, im thinking that were looking at a 2136 gph pump as the only return pump.

Here is another link:
Iwaki Pumps
http://www.pumpcatalog.com/newimages...oduct269-1.pdf

And another link: For i know that you will say that even 2100 gph may be too much flow rate, the largest in this models is at 2000 gph.
Iwaki Pumps - SaltySupply.com
Iwaki MD100RLT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 2000 GPH Price: $449.99 Price: $409.99

Or I use these two as two return pumps:
Iwaki MD40RLXT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 1200 GPH $299.99
Iwaki MD30RLXT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 960 GPH $229.99

On the above main pump return, it be due to the fact that drilling larger the bulkheads will not be so manageable.

What your thoughts on this?

Buddy
I made it bigger
Old 10-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
Thanx but no.....

A question mark doesn't necessarily make a question. One must first be able to articulate the query in such a way that the reader might have a reasonable expectation of understanding and thus answering said query.

Verbosity is not always an indication of contemplative thought.

BTW: The answer to ccC's question is a resounding NO
Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree, I'm not gonna spend my time to read the essay presented. I like straight forward questions. Examples: (What pumps would you recommend for a XX gallon tank?), ( I want to do a FOWLR what kind of light would you recommend?) See not so hard.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
A question mark doesn't necessarily make a question. One must first be able to articulate the query in such a way that the reader might have a reasonable expectation of understanding and thus answering said query.

Verbosity is not always an indication of contemplative thought.

BTW: The answer to ccC's question is a resounding NO
That was a lot of nice English jargon, I'll admit. I believe he is merely asking for you all to take a look at what he's posted, and tell him your thoughts. Basically what we here at the base call a "sanity check."
Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #18
Thanx but no.....

If you understand it, take a shot at it. For me, when my brain starts to hurt reading something... I generally flip on Cartoon Network

BTW: It's not jargon. It's the english language before it was chopped/abbreviated/dumbed down. There was a time, not too long ago, when this was the way educated people communicated using the english language.

Not to soapbox, but one often hears how reading legislation or 'terms and conditions' on financial documents is a waste of time. It's not that it's complicated. It's that the population has stopped seeing a robust vocabulary as a tool for furthering ones life. It's an effort now to get someone to use vowels let alone have more than 25 words at their disposal.

Vocabulary, punctuation, capitalization.. all valuable things handed down from generation to generation.. until recently.

smiley face; smiley face ; thumbs up emoticon
Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm. i suggest that you use the two mag drives for the return lines. and i really dont see why he cant make a closed loop for you. it is actually quite simple. ask him if he understands what a closed loop system is, it doesnt sound as if he is understanding what you mean by closed loop.

and to everybody else! we get that his posts might be too long and not too the point, but come on! hes a person that if you actually toook the time to read the post, it would make sense. just because it is a lot, doesnt mean that it is not understandable. remember that old saying "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tell it to OP.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com