One last attempt to see if I could get any type of assistance at Aquariumadvice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

old man of the sea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I post this in lighting, for I need to still know in what im to look for or even try to buy those who might be selling that item in the forums, im also telling you what has been happening and what further decisions I made to see this tank happening in the coming months.

Hi again, the last two times or so I gotten little to no responses depending on what was the question in the first place. Now I know that I been asking on a number of certain questions from lighting to pumps. The last question I solved that myself by collecting a number of particular threads in which speaks of a large tank from beginning to end. Some might have seen, the person who will rebuild my tank, had suggested his opinion to have two pumps for my main return. between both of those pumps, they would giving me a flow rate somewhere less then 1800 gph. I told him that I wanted better and that being no one would bother to assist me any further at that time, I selected the main return pump myself. I selected the sequense dart 3600 pump, and it will I believe from James (my new aquarium guy) that the return will split into two returns.

Sequence ReeFlo Dart Pump, 3600 GPH

Now I been busy the last two weeks on this, and looking for certain used equipment so that I might save to do something else as well. What I mean by that is, im buying a new stand and canopy, as of right now im a price quote for a tank stand of 36" tall under the tank. Now im waiting for my second quote, to see what difference the cost will be to have 38" tall stand. For once this tank does start, that will be it, I wont be able to do anything further due to having a tank stand of only 24" tall, for equipment it becomes a huge problem.

Now I already paid for these items, a 1/2 HP chiller, calcium reactor and a Co2 tank with Regulator, and a skimmer with pump and a waste container. Now I will be able to do little more to buy as much in cost as I done here, for were coming to the time when I need to have together before X-Mas, the property tax and that going we over $1500 this year. If I not buy the new stand and canopy, I believe that I might had started up this tank before the end of the year.

Another thing is, I lost both selection list for my 240 gal SPS tank, the cleaning crew and fish that I would mostly have, or was planning to have. Im hoping when the time comes that those who giving me their assistance on both types of crew selection, that you will assist me with it once more. After all, if I can show all the patience in world waiting to when I will finally do this tank (Six long years) that you could show me some patience as well for the bottom line here, the main fact of it is that I never in all my years while doing the hobby owned a SPS system, so there has to be questions I will ask of.

All the equipment items mentioned in this thread are listed as follows:

Pacific Coast Imports C0500 ½hp Chiller

My Reef Creations dual Chamber Calcium Reactor
Regulator
Co2 Canister

My Reef Creations

MRC MR4 Skimmer
Blueline external pump (1750 gph)
Waste container

There still be a number of items to get, as well as in the lighting set up. The problem be is, the last time I was asking something on this, and I knew that I wasn't happy with the lights selection which James (his the man who will rebuild my tank) suggested, in my last post or three in question has gotten zero opinions. The thing you need to know as well as that I never maintained a SPS reef tank, but I did other corals with no problems, im no lighting expert..

Also, for the calcium and phosphate reactors, im looking for the best high quality media for these equipment and bulk size., so cost will be somewhere high.

This is one lighting setup i became glued too, but it just needs more blue at cooling down period before shutting down>
========================================
4x250w MH.
Two Reefoptic 3 on Icecaps with 14K Phoenix.
Two Aquamedic pendants with 14k Phoenix.
8x54w T5 on Icecaps
4 total Blueplus
2 Aquable specials
2 6500
It went 2 Bluepluses in the front
Then the MHs
1x blue plus
1x6500
1x blue plus
1xAquablue
It drew about 1200 watts at the MH ballasts
And 800 or so watts for the T5s
So around 2000 watts total for 1600 watts of light.
===================================

here is another lighting on another 240 gal reef tank that I found>

Lighting - All main tank lighting is contained within the DIY aluminum light box that measures 8" tall X 15" deep X 8' long. Four Hamilton 250-watt Double Ended 14k Kelvin metal halide bulbs in four PFO mini-pendant fixtures and driven by four IceCap 250 electronic ballasts. Eight 46.5" super-actinic URI VHO bulbs on two circuits drive by two IceCap 660 electronic ballasts, one controlled by a Niche Engineering 500 Dimmer to simulate dawn/dusk. Three 25-watt incandescent blue "party" lights as moonlights. One each 150-watt Iwasaki 6500 Kelvin metal halide bulb on both the sump/refugium and grow-out tank, both driven by IceCap 150 electronic ballasts.
=================================================

I can not honestly say I know everything im looking at here, after all, I did say that im no expert when it comes to lighting, all I know is that I need to get the best lighting possible that wont as well eat up my wallet/savings. I figure a $100 a month extra electric bill, I could deal with that.

Im also looking to run me a refugium, the tank sump will remain as the 4' L tank that was put on the 240 from the beginning, a 75 gal tank, I figure I already once paid for a custom glass sump.

Now the reason for talking about what possible lighting I could have, I want to get some better idea to what ballast to look for if and when its become available on sale in the selling forum. As well about the ballasts, I want to get the top of the line. Now as I said, I am not sure to what more I could spend on this before the end of the years. But if buying used and in great condition, it would take a load of my mind.

The new stand at this time to be, stands 36" tall for $875 and the canopy for $540 is a good price I told James, now before any decision is made, im waiting for a quote on the tank stand to be 38" tall.

So with all that is said here, will I once again be able to count on the very same people who giving me some type of assistance? After all, this is a forum were people do two type of things, one is they show to all their own tanks and be heavily praised for it, the other thing be is what the forums are all about, to assist others to the best of their knowledge.
If its to be that I will get no assistance what-so-ever because of the long wait in when this tank will really and truly be started up, and become a reality other then just a dream. The use equipment as you seen listed in this thread has cost me $1,395 and the 36" tall stand with canopy is priced at $1,415 before tax.

There is still the phosphate reactor to pick out, and the lighting, also cooling fans. But I seen once this type of cooling fans, i not been able to relocate again, its attaches to the top back of the reef tank, on one unit it has four fans blowing across the water of the tank. Even that I will have a chiller, I rather not leave it all up to the chiller in what my tank temperature will be, I will have fans in place.

Please believe and trust me that I am very serious in when I will get this SPS tank started up, I like those who had giving some suggestions before to when that (same) question comes up, please talk to me. I can not just listen to one man, who is setting up this tank. I didn't care for his lighting suggestion/opinion or his main return pumps flow rate would been. I did solve the flow rate on my own account, but lighting again becomes another matter for me, I know nothing of other then that I know I need the best possible lighting.

In this post, I posted two possible sets of lights to use., The big problem if going with T5 with MH, just how many T5 I should go with, and which type? If a settlement could be reached, and I the ballasts (links) that I should best have, I could then list my request in the selling forum that im looking for these, but not too old I should think.

Again, the tank is to be dominated by SPS corals, with about three clams. And I told James that I wanted a closed loop system, he seems to think its not needed.or not worth it.

I hope you all will agree that im not looking to waste anyones time, that I will be able to count on those who has the knowledge to assist me, this tank will happen, with or without your help. Without your help will only make the progress somewhat slower. I hope that I could count on those once again.

Buddy

That is funny, there were two post response here, lol

WhiteDevil, I like your comment better then a person who first joins up has nothing better to say, he/she might as well not said anything for that matter. but the idea at most in doing so was to get some ones attention , rather then you by pass offering me no assistance at all.

OK, one question at a time, im already getting a few ideas here for the main return pump I shown here, Sequence ReeFlo Dart Pump, 3600 GPH
That so many are using this pump as both, their return and closed loop, but then i realize that it will all depend on if their overflow boxes and what size PVC piping their using.
So im thinking that even Jmaes is right, his my new aquarium guy, but then if im to go with some lesser flor rate as my main return pumps, I will then need a closed loop system with the pump I mentioned here.
My last suggestion was a eheim pump that pumps 900 gph, as my main return pump, and it will split into two return pipes before entering the tank again.

The tank is a 240 8'x2'x2'

I really got to go, latter tonight i will check back here
And the other post was by troutsniffer.

Ok I ask a question and not a large book as one might have put it.
Thanks anyway if no one hekps with anything here.

I only have a 125 but I run two return pumps. I run a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 and they put plenty of flow in the tank that I really need only my return lines for flow. I do have a small PH in the corner but only because my sps corner is there and they need high flow in that area. You do have two overflows right? I hope this helps even though it`s on a smaller scale. BTW I really think a question or two at a time will help tremendously. Good luck on your adventure.

melosu58, what I find funny is when I check out these types of large tanks from setup to completion, mostly all of them has a strong return pump as I was saying I would have. I could only guess here that their with a larger PVC piping, and I know that James is going to put in a 1" . The flow wouldn't be able to handle that much flow rate.

I do have two over flows with two returns.

Good luck on your adventure

Adventure!!! You want adventure you could watch over my grandchildren, LOL :rolleyes::D

Buddy

I had a pump question to post, but i guess being that there seems to be no one available at aquariumadvice to assist me in my quest, you will then just wait to see it when it starts. Sorry, but i cannot waste time looking for certain answers were im not getting any. See your all later when the tank finally starts up. ;)

This site is awesome... you may just have to shorten your posts or maybe bulletize them. By the time I just got done reading it - I forgot what it was about LOL You really will find a lot of help on this site, just have to be short and to the point.

To be honest, I find your posts very hard to understand. I suggest stating your actual questions in a less run-on manner and providing more extensive background if/when it is needed.

One last attempt to see if I could get any type of assistance at Aquariumadvice

When that is the first line it tends to put people off......

Hi again, the last two times or so I gotten little to no responses depending on what was the question in the first place.

Then when I got to that one I just stopped reading.... Sorry

I don't know much about lighting a reef tank that big, but from what you like here, I can offer bulb selections on the T5HOs:

This is one lighting setup i became glued too, but it just needs more blue at cooling down period before shutting down>
========================================
4x250w MH.
Two Reefoptic 3 on Icecaps with 14K Phoenix.
Two Aquamedic pendants with 14k Phoenix.
8x54w T5 on Icecaps
4 total Blueplus
2 Aquable specials
2 6500
It went 2 Bluepluses in the front
Then the MHs
1x blue plus
1x6500
1x blue plus
1xAquablue
It drew about 1200 watts at the MH ballasts
And 800 or so watts for the T5s
So around 2000 watts total for 1600 watts of light.

You can skip the 6500K bulbs in the T5HOs and do 2 more Blue Plus if you want more blue or you could have some Super Actinics in place of the 6500K.

If you still want to ask the pump question, it would be better to make another thread with your question. :)

Last edited:
New main return pump(s) idea

New main return pump(s) idea, even that I not gotten any comment or suggestions on this topic, I will gibe it still a try.

A little update on my aquarium man who pick out what my MH reflectors would be in which all disagreed with it due to his lighting idea by having only three 250 watt MH, rather then four, that I figured on from day one of on the beginning planning of this SPS system. I sent him a email asking him a question, if he selected the reflectors he mention in his specs due to their the best he thought of for this tank, or is it was only due to that those reflectors were being discontinued, and the company placed the remaining few of that stock on a hugh sale to get rid of them. Following that line of questioning, James then agreed to do over a new lighting specs for the 240 gal tank. I told him that I had no wish to continue hammering around with it, that all or most agreed with his specs, providing I had far better reflectors then he selected for me. As is, the total cost is around $1500 for those specs, I only need to learn to just what K is totals too, as well total amps so that I split the connections, not to overload. even that each outlet handles 20 amps, the surge protectors I have only handles 12 amps. His idea was to try and keep the tank from over heating, even thou im too have a chiller and any number of cooling fans near around the tank.

Just one question his not commenting too as yet, if he could or not put in for me a closed loop system, for I told him that I remember when I first mention this too him, and his remark was, he didn`t know how he could do that. if I don't get me a closed loop put in, im then looking at a number of pumps for the required currents for this tank, I will not be bothering with maxi jet pump, I be only wasting time with those on this type of system.
I did however ask him on some other ideas for a return pump. His original idea was to use two pump, one around 850 gph and the other I think was less then 1100 gph. Im figuring that if he can not assist me by giving me a closed loop system, that I should have some better type of main return pumps. These are the links for the pumps i sent him in question for this project.

If we use two pumps for the two return lines, I selected these:

#27107 - Mag-Drive 9.5 *950 GPH* - $108.95
#27121 - Mag-Drive 12 *1200 GPH* - $137.95

Supreme Mag Drive 950 GPH Pump
Supreme Mag Drive 1200 GPH Pump

MD30RLXT 1" / 1" 960 gph 13.5
MD40RLXT 1" / 1" 1200 gph 15.4

At this link, I couldn`t copy exactly what I wanted to show him, but you can see for yourself here: And if just one pump, im thinking that were looking at a 2136 gph pump as the only return pump.
Iwaki America Aquarium Pumps

Here is another link:
Iwaki Pumps
http://www.pumpcatalog.com/newimages/products/product269-1.pdf

And another link: For i know that you will say that even 2100 gph may be too much flow rate, the largest in this models is at 2000 gph.
Iwaki Pumps - SaltySupply.com
Iwaki MD100RLT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 2000 GPH Price: $449.99 Price: $409.99

Or I use these two as two return pumps:
Iwaki MD40RLXT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 1200 GPH $299.99
Iwaki MD30RLXT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 960 GPH $229.99

On the above main pump return, it be due to the fact that drilling larger the bulkheads will not be so manageable.

What your thoughts on this?

Buddy

New main return pump(s) idea, even that I not gotten any comment or suggestions on this topic, I will gibe it still a try.

A little update on my aquarium man who pick out what my MH reflectors would be in which all disagreed with it due to his lighting idea by having only three 250 watt MH, rather then four, that I figured on from day one of on the beginning planning of this SPS system. I sent him a email asking him a question, if he selected the reflectors he mention in his specs due to their the best he thought of for this tank, or is it was only due to that those reflectors were being discontinued, and the company placed the remaining few of that stock on a hugh sale to get rid of them. Following that line of questioning, James then agreed to do over a new lighting specs for the 240 gal tank. I told him that I had no wish to continue hammering around with it, that all or most agreed with his specs, providing I had far better reflectors then he selected for me. As is, the total cost is around $1500 for those specs, I only need to learn to just what K is totals too, as well total amps so that I split the connections, not to overload. even that each outlet handles 20 amps, the surge protectors I have only handles 12 amps. His idea was to try and keep the tank from over heating, even thou im too have a chiller and any number of cooling fans near around the tank.

Just one question his not commenting too as yet, if he could or not put in for me a closed loop system, for I told him that I remember when I first mention this too him, and his remark was, he didn`t know how he could do that. if I don't get me a closed loop put in, im then looking at a number of pumps for the required currents for this tank, I will not be bothering with maxi jet pump, I be only wasting time with those on this type of system.
I did however ask him on some other ideas for a return pump. His original idea was to use two pump, one around 850 gph and the other I think was less then 1100 gph. Im figuring that if he can not assist me by giving me a closed loop system, that I should have some better type of main return pumps. These are the links for the pumps i sent him in question for this project.

If we use two pumps for the two return lines, I selected these:

#27107 - Mag-Drive 9.5 *950 GPH* - $108.95
#27121 - Mag-Drive 12 *1200 GPH* - $137.95

Supreme Mag Drive 950 GPH Pump
Supreme Mag Drive 1200 GPH Pump

MD30RLXT 1" / 1" 960 gph 13.5
MD40RLXT 1" / 1" 1200 gph 15.4

At this link, I couldn`t copy exactly what I wanted to show him, but you can see for yourself here: And if just one pump, im thinking that were looking at a 2136 gph pump as the only return pump.

Here is another link:
Iwaki Pumps
http://www.pumpcatalog.com/newimages/products/product269-1.pdf

And another link: For i know that you will say that even 2100 gph may be too much flow rate, the largest in this models is at 2000 gph.
Iwaki Pumps - SaltySupply.com
Iwaki MD100RLT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 2000 GPH Price: $449.99 Price: $409.99

Or I use these two as two return pumps:
Iwaki MD40RLXT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 1200 GPH $299.99
Iwaki MD30RLXT Water Pump (Japanese Motor) 960 GPH $229.99

On the above main pump return, it be due to the fact that drilling larger the bulkheads will not be so manageable.

What your thoughts on this?

Buddy

I made it bigger :)

A question mark doesn't necessarily make a question. One must first be able to articulate the query in such a way that the reader might have a reasonable expectation of understanding and thus answering said query.

Verbosity is not always an indication of contemplative thought.

BTW: The answer to ccC's question is a resounding NO

I agree, I'm not gonna spend my time to read the essay presented. I like straight forward questions. Examples: (What pumps would you recommend for a XX gallon tank?), ( I want to do a FOWLR what kind of light would you recommend?) See not so hard.

A question mark doesn't necessarily make a question. One must first be able to articulate the query in such a way that the reader might have a reasonable expectation of understanding and thus answering said query.

Verbosity is not always an indication of contemplative thought.

BTW: The answer to ccC's question is a resounding NO

That was a lot of nice English jargon, I'll admit. I believe he is merely asking for you all to take a look at what he's posted, and tell him your thoughts. Basically what we here at the base call a "sanity check."

If you understand it, take a shot at it. For me, when my brain starts to hurt reading something... I generally flip on Cartoon Network :)

BTW: It's not jargon. It's the english language before it was chopped/abbreviated/dumbed down. There was a time, not too long ago, when this was the way educated people communicated using the english language.

Not to soapbox, but one often hears how reading legislation or 'terms and conditions' on financial documents is a waste of time. It's not that it's complicated. It's that the population has stopped seeing a robust vocabulary as a tool for furthering ones life. It's an effort now to get someone to use vowels let alone have more than 25 words at their disposal.

Vocabulary, punctuation, capitalization.. all valuable things handed down from generation to generation.. until recently.

smiley face; smiley face ; thumbs up emoticon

hmm. i suggest that you use the two mag drives for the return lines. and i really dont see why he cant make a closed loop for you. it is actually quite simple. ask him if he understands what a closed loop system is, it doesnt sound as if he is understanding what you mean by closed loop.

and to everybody else! we get that his posts might be too long and not too the point, but come on! hes a person that if you actually toook the time to read the post, it would make sense. just because it is a lot, doesnt mean that it is not understandable. remember that old saying "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"?

Back
Top Bottom